SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Need help with window treatments badly!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with ideas about improving my current window treatment situation - left from previous owners,
As it is now (see attached pictures), I find it boring and also cheap looking, given those ugly rods are starting to sag.

I went to Calico Corners as well as a small Upholstery/Drapery shop. The former suggested an estimate of 1000-2000$ and the latter around 1200$.
This is for two small windows (32.5" wide) with draperies and some kind of accent/valence at the top. Cornice would have been even more.
I am ready to decide that custom is out because it sounds horribly expensive to me - just to dress two windows.

I don't know what else to do.

If anyone could give me some advice as to what I could do to make these two windows pretty for no more than 800.00 $, ideally much less - I would GREATLY appreciate it.

If you think the budget I have in mind is truly unrealistic for anything beautiful/graceful (as opposed to boring or cheap looking), please let me know.

This is a 11 x 11 ft, 8 ft ceiling dining room (small), traditional/transitional style, hardwoods and a hand-made, wool oriental rug on the floor (heirloom, which I will keep there regardless).
One important objective for me is to create a sensation of extra height to the room by having whatever window treatment I choose start right beneath the crown molding.

Thank you so much!

Comments (54)

• grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

Do you need to have the drapes closed for privacy? I generally do not care for drapes that are closed.....much prefer them to just frame the window. Could you show the Windows with the drapes open?

• atromper
    7 years ago
    Ask your friends if they know anyone that sew curtains. But make sure you see curtains/drapes they've made for others to ensure they do quality work. My other suggestion would be to buy a better curtain rod. With that width of window you shouldn't need a middle support for the rod.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with window treatments for a 5-part bay window

Q

Comments (1)
    I would look at roller shades and maybe even the possiblity of battery powered ones. They will give you a clean look and clear view of your window openings. If you want curtains, you can use an iron rod and have it bent to the corners of your bay windows. Use a mount at either end and 1 in the middle (screw it in place so the rod doesn't move). You can then close the curtains to the center of the opening without any major issues.
    ...See More

Need Urgent Help - Window Treatment solution for ceiling high windows

Q

Comments (12)
    I would also look into different ceiling installation options because 118" will need at least a couple of middle supports if you installed on the sides.... 96" is a very manageable ht to diy! I have regular sized sliders (that are recessed about the same amount as yours except with a lot of molding around them) that I hung a tension like curtain rod on except it is mounted on both sides... I hung open weave linen sheers on them and almost always keep them pulled to cover just one half... anyway, I couldn't have used the center supports with this rod even if I wanted to because I have the rod hung tight near the top like you need to do-- in my case it works because I only have sheers hanging, so less wt and i don't close them too often, so very little tugging on the rod...
    ...See More

Big wall, tiny window - need window treatment help!

Q

Comments (17)
    well, it just depends what you want. if those are real oak floors, you can always have them patched in, but that means the rest of the floor will need refinishing. For sure I'd put in some windows along that wall, and try and have the sink under it. Cabinets. you can do inexpensive or high end. I wouldn't nix the idea of a carpenter custom building some for your space. RTA cabinets are actually decent. hire someone to install. If you're on a budget, I prob wouldn't use HD or Lowes. you're paying them to be the middleman contractor, and they sub out their work. Sometimes their countertops are a decent price though. talk to a kitchen designer or an actual kitchen refinishing company. I found a great one on Yelp (all 5 stars) and they were amazing. I had mine painted, but they also did custom carpentry, refacing, vent hoods, and everything in between. If you could find a company like that, I'd go that route. walk around a stone yard to see what's avail for countertops/islands. Some people like ikea. It just depends the look you want. the rest of the house is very nice. looks like you have plenty of room. don't know why they did such a tiny kitchen with all of that room! however, for 30K, you're going to have to DIY, learn to DIY, or learn how to shop for bargains. I'd still list your current kitchen for sale. someone would want it. they can come in and take it apart and charge 1K for everything. (to demo all of that, you're looking at over 1K anyway! ) hiring a KD for a custom layout design wouldn't be a bad idea
    ...See More

Need help with window treatment for 14 windows in Dining/Living room

Q

Comments (7)
    Hey There: We suggest that you go with blinds or shades for each window individually. A window treatment must be functional at first and looking at your pictures, the new tenant needs privacy and light management. I assume that the bottom window blinds will never be used in the first place but they will allow for light coming in and for privacy. Check us out at www.fenstermann.com or give us a call at 619.665.9446
    ...See More
  • lcswilcox195kw
    7 years ago
    Check out curtain companies online like Country Curtains. They have a broad selection of many colors and styles.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Idk if finials with crystal look is even sold for the thin rod... so if they're kitcheny - it's not awwwful and I mean that, esp. cause your mirror is good and large. You could remove the dinky [sorry] corner unit, and place the 2 art pieces between windows [1 atop the other, if you're keeping them]..

• Leigh Hoskins
    7 years ago
    Fabric choice will play a big part in determining the cost of custom draperies. Fabric stores in your area should have names of professional seamstresses who can help you with measuring, design, rods and fabric. Or put the word out on Facebook. Someone will know someone who can point you in the right direction. There are lots of websites where you can find nice fabric without having to pay retail. Google drapery fabric for places to look for fabric. Same for drapery hardware.
  • Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

First, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate your help!

jhmarie - trouble is I don't sew and I am not really crazy about shades/informal look in the dining. I do happen to like the look of cascading, fabulous, regal drapes of all sorts but I know this is not an option in the house we own, particularly not in this small dining that would be overwhelmed by anything like this.

That being said, I still want to keep drapery in the dining - if only simple, clean, transitional drapes.

I AM starting to think that these windows will have to do with a pret-a-porter outfit because custom seems to be outside of the range I am willing to spend on two pitiful, standard windows.

applepieorder ...yes. I initially wanted something with a clean cornice...something like this:

...but when the Calico lady noted that the very little space available between my right window and the adjacent wall (only 3 inches, see pic above) would make this very difficult, she suggested a valence.

I was afraid a valence would look less structured and clean.

But given she said a cornice would be even more expensive, I am now considering the valence look too - maybe a straight, clean one. Perhaps like this, but shorter (the valence)?

Trouble is even with valence I am looking at over 1000 for custom.

Grapefruit1 - I have been keeping the drapes closed mainly because the blinds behind them are really horrible (the cheap, plastic kind you find in depressing offices). If you want to see how the windows look when the drapes are open/drawn, there it is - but it's bad.

I have recently bought some hold-backs to install so I can have the drapes half drawn (love the look of tied back drapes!); but now I don't want to mount this hold-back hardware until I decide what I will do with the window treatments.

atromper - buying a better curtain rod would be easy and I will do this anyway; but I am not sure this will suffice.

The current drapes feel cheap (it's some synthetic material with a sheen) and I really want something at the top for some extra interest and curved lines. I am afraid that two panels just hanging there, even on a prettier rod, is not going to do much. I wanted these windows to be a bit dressier and drawn higher, visually speaking. So the rod needs to be moved up - or a valence/cornice added at the top.

I would like to go the DIY route but everything I have seen ready-made looks kind of cheap to me. I am looking for a lighter, breezier fabric - nothing too heavy or rough.

What I saw ready-made that is light and breezy (imitating a silky material) seems to be made of cheap polyesters. I looked at Bed Bath and Beyond and did not like what I saw there.

I also don't know how to deal with the rod on the right side of the right window, where there is SO little space.

The Calico lady suggested something such as using a tension rod that goes right against the wall, without finial. Where do I even get something like this?

The hardest part will be to figure out how to add something at the top instead of just having two panels hanging there. Can one even do DIY valences or cornices? If yes, how?

Thank you all so much!

• everdebz
    7 years ago

This rod up to 48" is $30 [black, brass, or steel]. Houzz doesn't usually have many reviews, but this has high:

Pierre Cut Crystal Curtain Rods, Antique Brass, 28"-48" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

With substantial lower trim and mirror and dining set [and I'm not there in person]... but not sure you couldn't have a good look with elegant crystals for finials.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Michael's or Joann's typical Styrofoam cornice kit -- why shouldn't it look ok?

http://www.joann.com/june-tailor-no-sew-sonoma-straight-cornice-kit/10701936.html

• User
    7 years ago

Can you have a cornice made to cover across both windows and use curtain fabric in the middle to hide that it's a wall?

You need strong metal rods - can get at big box shops. They shouldn't sag because your windows aren't that wide. Pottery Barn has great linen curtains. I would use a soft white and lined.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    7 years ago

Boscovs is very inexpensive. You may want to consider putting sheers underneath for a finished look. When the drapes are open, it gives a finished look (in additional to offering privacy (if you need it).

My office roman blinds broke. When I was waiting for my custom roman blinds from Pennys, I used Boscovs (had to for privacy). They were $40 for one window including lined panels and sheers. I got the tension rod somewhere else, but I don't remember the price - had to be less than $20.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I get in my email everyday pics from design blogs usually featuring upscale homes. Right now, the cornice box and the valance are rarely to be seen. I have valences in my home, but I have a cottage / French Country style so they work, but in general they are not being used. What I see is straight panels hung high on nice rods. This is what is in style now - at least you do not have to spend the money on either a cornice or valance.

Here are some examples:

Original Author
    7 years ago

everdebz - that rod is lovely. My problem would be the window to the right: that finial would not fit against the adjacent wall as there are only 3 inches between the window frame and the adjacent perpendicular wall.

Here is the chandelier (yes, we need to repaint the ceiling). Not sure what is made of but I would say a metal/bronze-like material and glass.

Here is a picture of the room, overall, and the rug. Artwork will be changed/moved around because the frames are way too small for the area they occupy.

Until recently we had other urgent priorities and never really got more serious about decorating the house.

I will soon have a large portrait of my grandmother's placed between the two windows.

However, the room is clearly missing any sense of "pretty" or pizzaz and I am quite sure the biggest problem is the windows. The all-square, straight lines of frames are not helping either.

I will take away that tiny artwork to the right of the mirror and I am thinking to add instead two European-style sconces left and right of the mirror. The crochet on the table will probably go too - be it an heirloom. :-) But that empty wood table will have what on it? Cover with glass?...Have no clue.

I do like the corner piece even if it may appear a bit dinky in the picture :-).

It's more imposing than it looks in the picture and without it, the room looks really blah right now. Until I find something better to replace it with, it will have to stay there.

But going back to the window treatments...I took a closer look at all sorts of ready-made options, from JC Penny to Boscovs; and I realized why I went straoght to custom in the first place. There seem to be mainly two types of ready-made treatments available, neither of which are what I am looking for.

I see either the straight-hanging modern type of drapes with a rod going through rings, such as the ones havingfun posted. These are very nice for a modern, cool room - but not for the traditional-transitional style I am leaning towards.

Or window treatments that, one way or another, show some kind of rod pocket gathering, ruffling at the top.

I absolutely do not like anything where a rod pocket gathering/ruffling shows even a little bit.

I considered going with the simple, straight-hanging panels (as jhmarie exemplified) but I will end up with two modern, long rectangles in a room that already feels boxy.

Mirror also has straight lines...and I really, really want some graceful curving lines at the top.

In desperation, I took one of my scarves and threw it around the pathetic rod I have in right now, just to get an idea of what a simple, small swag over panels would do.

And I think I like it - assuming longer hanging sides of the swag and different colors, evidently.

I know it is not the latest trend but I am rather traditional and don't' need to keep up with the latest trends.

At first I thought a swag would be too frilly and overwhelming for this room but I
    think I am being overly cautious, afraid of not making
    some major decorator faux pas (so much for daring and artsy).

With a simple swag, I would be getting my curved, gracious line/traditional fix and address the boxy, boring look of the room without the technical headaches of valences or cornices. With a nice rod raised up right beneath the crown molding and some nice fabrics...maybe? Do you think I could do this DIY/ready-made?

I am clearly insecure about what I am doing so feel free to opine any way you find fit. :-)

It also seems like I would be able to make it work at the right side, where there is so little space to the adjacent/perpendicular wall.

The trick is how to get a fabric for both panels and swag that would be light, breezy and flexible but not polyestery and tacky.

I love the natural materials such as cottons, linens etc. but they might be too heavy and stiff for a swag to fit in with the adjacent wall and for the room, in general.

I am also wondering whether the swag should be the same fabric as the panels for a clean/continuous effect or should I be gutsy enough to try an accent /complementary color or pattern from the rug?

Thank you so much for walking me through this mess!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh...I just found this!

I LOVE this modern clean look of panels with large rings combined with a bit of traditional waterfall for a graceful effect but without the major fuss of traditional full waterfall valences.

Now if only I could find a rod that would fit in that corner.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Know? cause Idk if this would do it...

Twilight Room Darkening Solution, Bronze, 88-144" · More Info
    Baywindow Series, Rubbed Matte Brass · More Info

• Joy
    7 years ago

agree return rod for hanging draperies close to wall. Also if wanting to keep costs down, add a block of fabric to the bottom of you draperies so they can be hung higher. Top of block of fabric should line up with the top of your wall paneling. Rodsvfrom overstock, draperies from JC Penney.

• nmp19
    7 years ago
    I have a window in my bedroom that is only three inches from the wall. I used a return rod and it looks great. Check them out. Amazon had the best prices and different styles.
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, joy and nmp19!

I think I am starting to figure out what I will do - clean modern drapes with rod going through large rings at the top and some matching waterfall valance, like the BBB I posted above.

Regarding the return rod, is there one in the window picture you posted, Joy?

Those seem like tension rods to me, no?

• User
    7 years ago

Grommet holes can look overly casual, especially if the fabric is at all stiff. Not something I'd recommend but if you choose that style, consider if it will be right for a dining area.

• User
    7 years ago

You really should take a look at J C Penney. They have an awesome selection on their website, from casual to sheer to room darkening, from cotton duck to linen to velvet. They also have photos of several different treatments used together in layers. Imagine a nice hefty drape, with sheers in the middle, a sheer scarf along the top for a valance, and possibly bamboo blinds. Look for pinch pleated drapes, those are the ones where you have the curtain hooks at the back.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Puremichigan60 - I certainly don't want stiff fabric and nothing that would look TOO casual. So thank you for pointing this out about the grommet.

It's a cool, modern look which I kind of like (even as a rather traditional person) but I certainly don't want the dining to look too casual.

But if I don't go with grommet, the alternative seems to be some gathered, ruffled rod pocket look at the top which I absolutely HATE. :-( You would think that as a traditional person I would like this better than grommet - but I don't.

Could I do panels hanging on clip-on rings AND a clean, small waterfall valance?

Would I need a double rod for that?

I made a free consultation appointment with a company called Budget Blinds -

and they said they might be able to work within my budget.

I also did not like the fabric selection at JC Penny - at least what I saw online.

Mainly boring solids and I am also afraid of the cheap feel of the fabric, non-flat hems - any sings of cheap window treatment look. It can really ruin a room.

I am thinking of a cotton/synthetic blend - a nicer feeling material.

I will continue to look at JC Penny. Would you be able to suggest any other good online stores for ready-made window treatments ?

Thank you again!

Original Author
    7 years ago

jenwen,

I must be searching wrong because I didn't see anything in cotton or linen. It's mainly polyesters. What am I doing wrong?

I checked Windows --> Curtains and Drapes --> checked all Top Construction options except rod pocket --> checked 72 and 108 inches length (everything else would be too short) and I get 90 pages. I went through quite a few but there seemed to b e mainly synthetics which I am afraid might look cheap.

I wish they had a feature whewfre you can select the fabric type/make.

I will keep looking. Maybe type in "cotton" as key word in the search box?

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

another recommendation for country curtains. their name has become a misnomer as they have a far wider assortment than country (much as calico corner has more than calico.) they do however still sell tailored valances which you wont see at other mainstream types of drapery places.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Seeing the pretty colors in the rug, what about a neutral design including persimmon in curtain trim?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

In other words, 'pretty' or lively in fabric somewhere/ except for your pretty rug, isn't the room mostly repeating same soft white and gold?

Waverly Lace it Up Persimmon Fabric · More Info

• izeve
    7 years ago

I think that you need heavier/thicker rods in a dark color. Use ring clips for your curtains and keep them open.

I have a similar situation with a window located very close to a wall and ended up using these rods from JCP because of the small flat finials that fit in a tight space: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcpenney-home-prescott-1-adjustable-curtain-rod/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004000039&catId=cat100260231&deptId=dept20022800026&urlState=/g/curtain-rods-hardware/N-1b0lvh6D1noxaf

Original Author
    7 years ago

everdebz,

I am absolutely thinking of including some accent line or a little something in the fabric (nothing busy though) that would steal a color from the rug; and the persimmon is why I love the rug so much :-).

Very much a favorite color. Thank you for the suggestions!

izeve, I wonder if even a small finial such as the one you showed would fit in my space. If you look at what I have there right now (pic above), it is much smaller and it barely fits.

A return rod might be a better option, though I would probably lose some level of "pretty" in the hardware.

• izeve
    7 years ago

Can you take off the drapes and take a picture of the windows? It's hard to advise without knowing what the windows look like. Is there trim around them? Would inside mounted roman shades be a better option than drapes?

• User
    7 years ago

Pottery Barn for moderately priced linen, silk. Consider a modern version of the pinch pleat. Renovation Hardware for more $$.

RH has a sale on curtains/drapes.

• Sharon
    7 years ago
    Halfpriceddapes.com has some gorgeous drapes. I just bought some for my dining room.
  • Sharon
    7 years ago
    halfpricedrapes.com/newarrival.aspx
    Original Author
    7 years ago

izeve,

Yes. There they are naked:

Sharon,

Your curtains look beautiful and I AM kind of impressed with what I see on their site. You weren't kidding around when you said they have gorgeous drapes. I love it!

Thank for you the recommendation!

• everdebz
    7 years ago

As long as you said that, what if the Lace's 1 'row' were the border around each panel ... kind of thing ?

Glad to see art stacked and even lower....

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

"take the curtains down and post another picture. so we can see the actual windows. also consider a new light fixture,.." part of my answer on your duplicate post. now, these windows look fantastic. glad for the progress. looks much better in here. so consider now how open it is. what about roman shades.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • cindyjsanders
    7 years ago
    Have you tried Bed Bath & Beyond? Especially using coupons!
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Downbytheriver,

That looks quite nice, I have to say - especially the chandelier. There is no doubt I will get a graceful and more prominent piece in there soon.

My reservations about the Roman shades are several: 1) I feel like it makes the room feel a bit too cold/bare...I tend to like the flow and height of draperies, if only simple ones 2) husband thinks we should install some kind of plantation-type blinds throughout the front of the house, for a uniform look from the outside. As this includes the dining windows, it would exclude Roman shades. 3) We have Roman shades in the bedroom from previous owners and they seem to be relatively prone to breaking, particularly if you pull them a lot to alternate light with dark for privacy.

Some panels on rings can be drawn back and forth a lot without any wear and tear, I think - or just softly tied back.

cindy,

I dropped yesterday by BBB and I did not like anything in store. I will look more on their site.

• PRO
    Blindsgalore
    7 years ago

With the room and the curtains it gives an old fashion vibe almost, maybe a more modern, functional look would liven up the room. The great thing about Roman Shades is they functional, easy to control the amount of light in your home, and give privacy when needed.
    Here are a few ideas:

Check out more options here: https://www.blindsgalore.com/WindowProduct.asp?id=255230

Best of luck,
    Blindsgalore team

• Sharon
    7 years ago
    Also check for online coupon codes if you do buy from halfpeicedrapes. It took me 3 tries to find a code that worked but it saved me an extra 50%. I was amazed and thrilled.

Here is our newly finished so if room, and I'm so happy with the outcome. Im just a regular person with a budget so I know how you feel. Good luck.
  • Sharon
    7 years ago
    Ignore typo, again, for website :/
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    With polyester batting, fabric, wood, angle braces, and a staple gun, you can easily make and install a valance.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

i love a good curtain, but if you are getting shutters, thats a whole new spin! I know it feels lack luster but to my eyes the room grew also spicing up the chandelier might help, maybe consider that first?

• Joy
    7 years ago
    Christine, no the rod in the picture with the draperies is not a return rod. I only posted that picture so you could see what the drapery would look made with 2 blocks of fabric in case I didn't explain it correctly.
  • christina405
    7 years ago

The scarf you draped on current version is spectacular! Good look. And I agree that anything simply gathered on the rod won't look right. So rings on the top will give you flexibility and can be either metal or wood (wood rings will require a larger rod, so maybe not so good). Or the ones with loops in the back would also work. By the way, Country Curtains will send you fabric swatches and as noted above are not just "country" in style.

Original Author
    7 years ago

christina,

Funny you say that because that is one of my scarf I just thew up there to get a vague idea as to how a draping/waterfall -type swag would look. I love swags but I am not sure how it would look with open, pulled back curtains (I need light in that room) as well as on a room as small as mine.

If the dining was large, I think I would end up doing the Versaille of the century in there' but since I am aware of our residential (and financial :-)) limitations, I keep thinking that simple, breezy and rather conservative is better. This, of course, also poses a major risk of evolving into plain ol' BORING.

• fissfiss
    7 years ago
    I just grabbed this off the Country Curtains website....it's not gathered! And also has matching drapes. They have a ton of tailored valances.
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    7 years ago

Suggest a simple fix: flat (not ruffled) valence. You can even glue a matching or complementary fabric to posterboard. Cut to build a simple form attached at the top of the wall and ending below the top of your curtains. Unscrew the finials at the end of your rods for a tighter fit and more custom look. Cheap, effective, and changeable! Invest in a quality fabric--but take care that you do not overdo that or the drapes will suffer by comparison. Same quality or slightly better recommended.