SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

The green recycle bin is going to be filled for the next several weeks

Our green recycle bin is going to be full for the next several weeks with all the things that froze back or froze for good. The 'official' low was 18 degrees, but it was probably a couple of degrees below that since my yard is at the bottom on the hill. Many things have recovered at temps that low or lower in years past, but this year the plants did not have a chance to harden off so were harder hit.

It's expected that the various shrimp plants will freeze to the ground every few years. Ditto the blue plumbago. I've got a lot of both that will need cutting back. My best tool for that is the battery operated hedge trimmer.

Several borderline hardy aloes, which were getting ready to flower, bit the dust. The tops of Tally's columnar cactus are soft and mushy, but I think it will return from the bottom and it grows fast.

I'm really disappointed that all the A. americana 'mediopicto alba' look very bad and may not recover. What the spring hail didn't take out agave wise this freeze did.

But it doesn't make me sad. It's just making it easier to simplify the garden. At this time in my life I've been doing that anyway so I'm happily cleaning up and looking forward to perhaps a better designed, less crowded garden.

Oh, and amazingly the dark purple flowered tropical guayacan looks great. Go figure ...

So how did your garden fare?

Comments (46)