SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24381804

This is going to get overwhelming fast! (long)

User
7 years ago

Just under a year ago I found a basic house plan I could work with. I re-drew about 80% of it, making the house "square" instead of all the expensive bump-outs, added a pocket door to access the den (former bedroom) from the foyer hall as well as the back hall original bedroom opening. Changed the open dining room into a library with french doors on 2 sides, moved the fireplace to an inside wall. Reduced the 7' wide halls to 5'. Added a deck, increased the garage length so my cars would fit with enough room for a shelf in front of them, added a walk down to the basement through the garage which gave me room for a "human door" into the garage. Mapped out a root cellar in part of the basement, and much more.

We were planning on building last fall, but due to crazy township permits (which takes 3 months minimum) we pushed off to this spring. We are now about a week away from getting a first look at the cost of our project. We already own the land and the builder dropped a bomb this past weekend after we spent 2 1/2 hours talking to the heating/plumbing guy about his bid and what he included in it. Our cost is coming in around $430K, and that doesn't include the driveway, or appliances, or lighting which we are buying on our own and letting the builder hook up. So we are looking at realistically $500Kish. We don't make that kind of money.

So we are expecting to have to try and cut about $150-200K out of our house plan. This is going to be frustrating since our builder originally suggested a build price of 110-125/sq ft. We are coming in at $217/sq ft, which I guess is the normal range for our area (150-225). Now, yes, we chose real hardwood for the bid in the kitchen/library and we can downgrade to some ugly vinyl, (I like the older styles of 20 years ago, not the new designs of today) we bid the most expensive (Marvin) windows, there is one grade down we can have re-bid. The plumber picked out some expensive faucets for his bid, can save a little there, and $200 exuast fans in the bathroom!

So not only are we looking at cutting a HUGE amount line by line, I am to the point where I need to start going out and finding/buying appliances, range hood, towel bars, shower curtain rod, cabinet knobs, deciding on final countertop colors, backsplash, re-choosing flooring, wall colors and we haven't even give thought to the interior of the master closet or the smaller walk in, in the master bath!

How do you keep your sanity when the work really starts going and you feel overwhelmed with choices that have to be made? I work a full time & part time job, fortunately my builder prefers to meet on Saturdays, and so far the sub contractors I have talked to do as well so that helps. I think I will be (more) insane by the time this finally gets done in late Sept/Oct, and probably be sleeping and sitting on the floor since I won't be able to afford furniture.

Comments (31)