SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnatrus

Pls help! Me vs. spouse... Engineered wood vs. tile

donnatrus
7 years ago

My husband and I are renovating our newly purchased home (1981 built single story on slab in coastal SoCal). We're nearly done with kitchen so now ready for flooring. We have 5 different floors (?!) throughout our main living spaces that we want to make all the same bc they all flow into each other. Including foyer, living room, dining room, kitchen and hallway through home.

We love the look and feel of wood so we planned on that. We like the rustic distressed look and feel. But my husband (amazing handyman/contractor doing all the work) is terrified of water leaks in the slab. He's wanting tile (wood-look tile). I'm worried that I'll hate the tile (hard, cold) and will look dated bc the wood-look tile is so trendy now.

Not sure what to do. I'm considering the tile. Also thinking about travertine instead of the wood look. We've also looked at luxury vinyl plank. But I still want wood. How crazy is his water concern? Is it reasonable? Any advice from homeowners and pros? Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (14)