SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rg_sanramon

First-Timer Help

rg_sanramon
7 years ago

I was given plants as wedding souvenirs; unfortunately, I have very little knowledge about taking care of them. It is my first time to actually take care of a plant, and my knowledge of plants is close to that of a naive 10 year old. But I am willing to learn. This is what happened:

I let the plants sit at the windowsill outside so they can get some sunshine for 8 days. I did not water them. On the 9th day, I took notice of them, and found some dead leaves at the bottom. I plucked them off, and misted the leaves. Then I began researching for their genus. I thought at first that they were sempervivums, so I acted quickly (impulsively) and watered everything very thoroughly. Later on that same day, I found out that they were actually echeverias, which means that I should not have watered the rosette. Some droplets were left sitting on the leaves. The next day (10th day), I noticed rotting sections of the leaves. I moved them from one location to another just for them to get lots of sunlight. On the 11th day (today), the rotten sections are still there, and two of them have mushy leaves, and loose soil...so loose that I can take them off their black plastic containers and see their stem. The others remain compact...so much that I might hurt them if I pull too strongly. I touched the soil of the loose ones and found the bottom damp. I cannot check the other soils. I know that they are water-retentive.

So, I am thinking of buying a rectangular clay pot with lots of holes; put a plastic screen at the bottom; buy a gritty mix of pine bark fines, Turface, and crushed granite; clean off the soil left sticking on the roots by dipping them in a bowl of water and brushing off the soil via hand; and lastly, repotting them together.

Is my plan good enough? Or should I add more steps? Below are pictures of the plants. Obsevations and suggestions are welcome.

There are 5 of them.

Close-up of the two on the left.

Close-up of three on the right.

Close-up of the plant with the loose soil, showing its stem.

The other plant showing its stem.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022