SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlemoylan

conflicting contractor advice on bathroom remodel - please help!

mlemoylan
7 years ago

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some unbiased input on which design/build group is pulling my leg. My husband and I are in the midst of a master bath remodel. We've already done most of the demo ourselves, and we're confident that we can do the tile work for the main part of the flooring (we're keeping the toilet - it's 1 yr old - and I'm refinishing the vanity). We're only looking for some help with putting in a new shower as we want to be assured that it's done right and won't leak. One company we spoke with is in favor of using a fiberglass shower pan, saying that it's more cost effective and is less likely to leak than a tiled shower floor. The other company is saying that the claims made by the first company are all wrong, and even went so far as to say that the state of Maryland (where I live) won't approve the inspection of anything other than a schluter/kerdi shower system. What am I supposed to do with that? My gut says that anytime someone says you can only use "XYZ" product, I'm skeptical of them, but I'm also willing to acknowledge that this is outside my area of expertise. Anyone out there with more experience with the codes for Maryland or Montgomery County in particular?

Thanks!

Comments (8)