SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbaldauf6112

Septic Install On Wrong Side of House

mbaldauf6112
7 years ago

We noticed after the concrete was poured and framing was complete that the septic system was installed on the wrong side of the house. I've been to the site daily but I didn't realize that's what it was and DH is legally blind so he didn't notice it. We assumed the builder and contractors had everything correct. During the planning stage we discussed with the builder where it would go. We had planned it on the side/back so the tank lids wouldn't be very visible and the sprinklers would be on the far side of the house. Unfortunately, it was installed off the large porch on the master bedroom wall and the tank lids will be very noticeable. Our house overlooks a lake so the sprinklers and tanks will now be in full view. The plumber said he thought it would be more convenient but didn't check with us before he chose to move the system.

I'm posting a floor plan and rough drawing of the originally planned location and current location.

What would you do? If we ask the builder to compensate us for the "error" is there a dollar amount you would ask for?? I had originally though $400-$500 but that was only taking into consideration the lids. Now, I realize it's so much more- sprinklers, alarm box and the wiring,etc. The more I think about it the more upset I'm becoming!!

We are meeting someone from the septic company on Mondsy to discuss options. I read we could possibly install the alarm and box on a post out in the yard but it can't be far from the house because we need to hear the alarm if something goes wrong. Currently, it's set to be installed on the exterior master bedroom wall which imho is a terrible place!

The floor plan is turned so when looking at it please compare to the hand drawn sketch.

What would you do??

Thank you in advance!!

Sunny

Comments (24)