SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kclarew

Work zone and layout help, pt 2

Kclarew
7 years ago

I posted a couple of weeks ago and received some great, intial advice on the kitchen's layout and as suggested, we had the architect increase aisle widths and lengths. I've spent a lot of time reading through this forum and have learned a lot. Nevertheless, I was planning to hire a KD but I have not been impressed with the portfolios of the two, local KDs that were recommended -- their focus was seemingly more form over function. So, at this point, I've put a hold on hiring a KD and, as such, could use some advice on appliance layout and work zones. I would love to have a better plan before we meet with a cabinet maker next week. We are thinking of using Conestoga cabinets but want to have a basis for cost comparison.

Any feedback on or suggestions to changing/improving the layout, work zones or appliance location would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!

What is your family composition? 2 Adults, 3 kids (11, 4, 2) with another due in March and then we are DONE

How many kitchen workers are there? 2 adults but my kids love to "help"

Do you or anyone in your home cook? All the time. 3+ meals a day

How do you see your kitchen used? Just for cooking/cleaning up.

Do you entertain a lot? Currently somewhat frequently but informally, like parent attended play dates. We plan to entertain more once the new house is built

Do you have a separate DR? It is connected to the kitchen

Cabinets: Two of the walls will only be lowers, mostly pull out drawers. I might have a few small spots for open shelving, perhaps for glasses and mugs. There will be a wide island with cabinets on both sides. The third wall (with the fridge) will be a combo pull out pantry and larder

Range or Cooktop or Range-top: My preference is to have a 30" induction cooktop with a 24" griddle topped (only) range (probably a Bluestar. We currently have a 48" gas range with a 12" griddle and we use the griddle all the time. I love gas but want the induction (for safety) since my kids are always helping in the kitchen

Single or Double or no Wall Oven: We will have the 24" gas oven that is in the Bluestar range. I also want a 30" steam oven

Warming Drawer: Would Iike but probably don't have the space

MW: built in on lower cabinets or a MW drawer

DW: one standard

Refrigerator: 36" French door with bottom freezer. (I'd prefer a 42" or a 24" refrigerator column/18" freezer column but I don't think there is room.

Ventilation Hood: Not sure. Will probably have to be custom and I'm fine with it in front of a window.

Pantry: Pull out cabinets with larder

Mudroom: Adjacent to the kitchen wil have some strorage

Baking Center: no

Coffee center: maybe in larder. In the dining room, there will a wet bar/beverage center

Do you want a snack center: no

Can windows or doorways change size: yes

Can they be moved or eliminated: yes

Can windows be raised/lowered: yes

Can any walls come down: no

Does the sink have to be centered under a window: no

Does it have to be under a window at all: yes

Is there anything you:

Cannot live without? lots of natural light

Definitely do not want? I want to minimize the amount of upper cabinets. I'm very petite and so are all my kids. I find upper cabinets difficult to access and hate that my kids are always crawling on the counters to access them. We have planned windows in place of upper cabinets

First picture: layout of 1st floor

Second picture: The architects ideas of where the appliances should go. He has a 48" gas range with 24" griddle and 2 separate ovens. But as described above, I'm hoping to use different cooking setup.

Third picture: My ideas for increasing workspace efficiency. I'm not sold on this but I'm having trouble thinking of alternatives.

1) Cooking Zone

2) Prep Zone

3) Clean up Zone

4) Microwave Drawer

5) Prep sink

Comments (17)