SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickpierro

Suggestions for clean, modern, light hearth slab.

Nick Pierro
7 years ago

Hi all. I'm in the process of a total home renovation. I'm quasi-GC-ing the project, and the next thing on the list is my fireplace.

It started out as an old, traditional 60's red brick fireplace. But like the rest of the house, the bricks were soaked in cat urine. (LONG story...) I demo'd the old fireplace.

Then, we had a great team of masons refurbish the cinderblock structure, skim-coat with new concrete, get it square, and re-build the hearth base. All up to proper fire code.

We're going for a very clean, contemporary look, and have settled on RealStone Systems White Birch honed planks. 6x24", limestone, has a "wood" look to it. Think this, except horizontal:

We're struggling to find an appropriate hearth slab for it though. The stoneyard has simple limestone slabs, which they can cut with a square edge. But it'll still look pretty raw. I looked into getting a countertop-grade concrete slab made, but was SHOCKED at the estimate. For a 20"x6' simple rectangle, it was going to cost upwards of $1200.

Anyone have any good ideas for a clean, modern, bright slab that I can use for a hearth?

(The only thing we've though of so far is something like Quartz)

Comments (3)