SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liliyflower

Shall I water sago palm after losing leaves?

liliyflower
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Some people believe I'm good with plants. I can make orchids bloom and save discarded plants and make them thrive.
But every gardener meets its challenge. For me, it's a sago palm. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but all three beautiful plants that I bought at 3 different times, have slowly declined and died.

I've read everything I could find about letting the soil dry between waterings, checking the codex for firmness. The very last one I bought was a gorgeous one, with a very good crown of green leaves and nicely large codex. The soil drains and dries up in a good time too. Like I said, I did everything I could think of to make it happy. It lasted about 5 months on the balcony, I had to bring it in since we had snow in Vancouver. Now it's down to its last 4 leaves that are yellowing.
I know that it's a seasonal thing and new leaves need to be flushed, and so I have some hope it will make it, but how do I know if it's doing ok or - not? Shall I still water it sparingly after all leaves die? I don't have a garage to store it in cool temps till the spring time, I live in the apartment. So.. please help me to figure out how to save this one. I really love it!

Comments (6)