SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkdgaoi

Soil pH changes with depth

Andrew Chandler
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm in a part of Houston, TX with clay-like "gumbo" soil and am trying to add some tropical plants to a new bed. The general advice in this area is to not disturb the clay soil and create a raised bed with good soil/compost above it. I've done this, though the layout of my yard forced the raised areas to vary between 2-6 inches above the gumbo soil.

So in doing a soil pH test (desiring for 6.5), the raised bed areas consistently show a pH of 7.8, while the underlying clay has varying pH that averages out to 6.6. This bed has only existed for a month.

So how do I proceed as far as adding aluminum sulfate or other amendment for getting my pH optimally to 6.5? The top soil is too high by over a point, but the deeper soil (which I was trying to keep the roots away from) probably doesn't need to be touched. I'm assuming that the soil/compost and the clay with become less stratified over time and end up with a pH somewhere between 6.6 and 7.8, right? I'm trying to get to my desired pH before I actually add plants in the spring . . .

Comments (26)