SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Optimal pH for black spot and pH of Scott's top soil

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

Here's the information from web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/610.pdf

"Black spot of rose caused by the fungus Diplocarpon rosae ... Conidial germination is optimum at 64� to 78�F .. The soil reaction (pH) should be between 5.5 and 6.5. "

I stored horse manure in the garage since July (pH of 9 to 10, temp. at 70 to 80) and there was ZERO mold growth. This month I mixed horse manure with alfalfa meal (pH of 5), and peat moss (pH of 4) for my peonies. At temp. of below 60 degree, there was a thick layer of fluffy mold on top of this more neutral in pH mixture.

This explains why in my last house (15 years ago), with a less alkaline soil, plus mulched with acidic pine bark - blackspots were rampant on my hybrid teas garden.

More info. from "Contrasting Soil pH Effects on Fungal and Bacterial Growth" by Department of Microbial Ecology, Lund University, Sweden AND Soil Science Dept, Rothamsted Research, United Kingdom. ABSTRACT

"The influence of pH on the two principal decomposer groups in soil, fungi and bacteria, was investigated along a continuous soil pH gradient at Hoosfield acid strip at Rothamsted Research in the United Kingdom. This experimental location provides a uniform pH gradient, ranging from pH 8.3 to 4.0, within 180 m in a silty loam soil. .. The growth-based measurements revealed a fivefold decrease in bacterial growth and a fivefold increase in fungal growth with lower pH. .. Below pH 4.5 there was universal inhibition of all microbial variables."

Today I tested 10 more samples for pH using red cabbage boiled in distilled water: baking soda (pH 9), moldy manure & peat & alfalfa mix (pH 7.5), MiracleGro potting soil (pH of 6), normal green Rhododendron with 50 mix of peat moss 9 years ago (neutral pH), pink striped Rhododendron with espresso ground (more pink, but not as acidic as MiracleGro).

The biggest disappointment is Scott's Premium bagged top soil with peat moss, it gets greener as time goes by. It's as green as horse manure (pH 9 to 10). After 1/2 hour, it's more green than baking soda. My conclusion: All bagged soils, regardless of brand name has to be either super alkaline, or very acidic like MiracleGro potting soil - so that people don't get grossed out by the thick fluffy mold. Optimal pH for fungi growth is slightly acidic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimal pH and temp. for black spots by U of Illinois

Comments (5)