SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

A blast from the past that gives me chills!

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Every now and then, I like to peruse realtor.com listings in areas where I once lived. On rare occasion, I've happened across homes that I used to rent or own, as was the case today. Actually, I scored twice today, both in Altus, Oklahoma where I lived as a young military bride after returning back to the states following my (ex)-husband's tour of duty in the Philippines. The first house I saw in the listings today was one we rented just before buying our first home together. It was a rather nondescript little 50s ranch that has been updated and would be a perfectly fine house for someone these days. The second that I came across today actually gave me chills. This is a house that we considered renting before finding the aforementioned little 50s ranch. I saw it first with a realtor, and brought my ex back later to see it. It intrigued me at the time, being the oldest and largest home I'd ever looked at, and I envisioned myself scrubbing, polishing, and sprucing it all up to make a happy and charming home. The thing that makes me shiver now is that it looked then almost exactly like it does now, about 33 years later! It's a bit worse for wear now, but even back when I saw it years ago, it had an old, derelict, slightly-abandoned-and-possibly-haunted look about it. The rooms seemed to me to open onto each other in weird ways. The kitchen seemed positively huge (although, of course, it wasn't really), and I truly imagined myself somehow reviving it and making it something special. This may have been the first time I ever saw potential in a house, and it kinda took hold of me at the time.

That's before my ex and I started looking at it seriously and realizing how much work it desperately needed. There was carpeting in most of the rooms that was just beyond gross ... we even started calling it "the ratty dog hair house." I don't remember it having central heat or air, and all of the fixtures were antiquated. Needless to say, we did not rent it, but over the years I have dreamed about it. It's been one of those houses that has haunted my psyche off and on, for whatever reason, for many years.

I don't quite understand why I find it rather unsettling to see it now, but I do. I wish someone would buy it and give it tons of TLC, but it's in a fairly depressed area and I doubt that will ever happen. I believe it's now a HUD home.

Link to my 1980s "dream" home ;-)

Comments (9)