Houzz Logo Print
rose_crazy_da

David Austin Spring order..YES your opinion matters

rose_crazy_da
7 years ago

I want to order the below
from HORTICO , what do you guys think ?..Should I go ahead and place the order
or wait until Spring and get them at the nurseries . I'm afraid if I wait they
will be sold out and I won't be able to find these at the nurseries.

As well what do you guys
think of my selection

Boscobel
Golden Celebration ™
Heathcliff
L.D. Braithwaite
Lady of Shalott
Munstead Wood
Sharifa Asma
Tess of The D'urbervilles
William Shakespeare 2000

Comments (55)

• Embothrium
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They gave this one a push this past spring, with full page magazine ads etc. Said it might have been their best ever. I bought one myself, so far it hasn't knocked me out. But you might like to try it.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/us/olivia-rose-austin-shrub-rose

rose_crazy_da thanked Embothrium
  • rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Guys I really do appreciate your input...Summersrhytm..I'm actually a guy and live in Markham Ontario about 2 hours away from Niagara.

I ordered Two pretty Jessica from Hortico two years ago( I think) and they both doing well .

The well known nurseries around my area are pretty pricey too( between $24 to $29) , and they do not normally carry the DAs I want. The big box stores like Home depot and Lowes do not carry any David Austins here in Canada,there are same supermarkets who do carry same DAs in the spring but the quality is pretty bad.

I'm actually running out of room so I have to move same plants around this spring/summer. I gave away my magnolia tree to a co- worker so that I could have more room for rose and I'm thinking of moving about five peonies to make more room. I love peonies too but the two week of blooms and than nothing ...all year I do not think its worth it and they are I a premium spot in the garden. I have lots to think about

• Related Discussions

What is your one favorite David Austin Rose?

Q

Comments (49)
    Ok,now that the newbies have been here awhile (and I added some others) here is my list Sophy's Rose - no scent, but always seems to be blooming and that color! Tradescant - Perfect. Scent, color, bloom form. Golden Celebration - so far a golden child, love the butter yellow color. Perdita - a smaller version of Heritage with a creamy color. Fair Bianca - compact, beautiful bloom form. I haven't seen Pat Austin bloom yet (I'm on my 2nd bare root for this year, but I think this one will make it.) I haven't been as thrilled with CPM as I thought I would be. And a few others haven't bloomed enough to judge (Graham Thomas, Portmerion, Wm Shakespear 2000).
    ...See More

Post up photos of your David Austin roses

Q

Comments (161)
    An Austin rose that you don’t see or hear about much is The Shepherdess, which was the best looking Austin rose in the public rose garden yesterday (untended and possibly not irrigated since shelter-in-place).
    ...See More

David Austin’s in pots

Q

Comments (91)
    If you want a fluffy pink, have you considered Princess Alexandra of Kent? She's about 3.5 x 2.5 and, according to David Austin, has a "delicious fresh tea fragrance with aspects of lemon and blackcurrants." Princess Alexandra of Kent I wouldn't know since I do not grow her, but if I had any space left open, I would definitely plant her in my garden. Austin adds that she is highly fragrant and very healthy also and "ideal for pots and containers." Really BIG blooms, I'm told. Kate
    ...See More

Best David Austin’s for continuous blooming

Q

Comments (52)
    I’ve been wondering if I should have gotten Darcey Bussel instead of Munstead Wood. MW is said to be much more fragrant, but in my garden it is only fragrant when conditions are just right. It’s an okay bloomer, but flowers lose their form, size and color in the heat of summer. The flowers crisp quickly in our dry summer heat. The spring and fall flowers are wonderful though. Sheila, do you have a MW? If so, how does it compare to DB? Stephanie? Bishop’s Castle would happily grow to 6 feet in my garden if well irrigated. I keep mine rather dry and the flowers are smaller, but it mostly stays about 4 feet and bushy. When the late summer monsoons come and the weather cools down, it shoots up taller basals that get pruned down in the winter.
    ...See More
  • eflana
    7 years ago

They used to carry them: I found my two Mary Roses and a Graham Thomas at Lowes during their end of season clearance two years ago... but they didn't have any last year. This was near London.

Maybe they just didn't get stock last year?

rose_crazy_da thanked eflana
  • rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks eflana.. I did checked most of the Lowes around me as well as Home depots. The only place I found DA was Loblaws

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Look for DAs at Whole Foods market in the spring, I remember 1 gardener mentioned last year, Whole Foods had DAs (bare roots). I was searching for Whole Foods near me, there was none, all in Canada...... did you find any at Whole Foods last year? We will have a new Whole Foods store this year.

Just find the old thread, you didn't find any at Whole Foods last year. Hortico is the best place for all of us.......

rose_crazy_da thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have yet to place the order still waiting on approval from the Boss..wife. The above list before taxes will cost about $170 , I could say its for my Birthday but I use that excuse for Top soil in the spring

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Lol, get the roses first, top soil later......you still have Father's Day.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

Hey everyone!

@rose_crazy-da I live in Markham too. We must compare our roses' growth habits.

DA roses are not readily available near us but I have found a few of them over the years. Sheridan Nurseries usually have a few varieties but the older varieties. The new ones are not available here. Sometimes Loblaws has DA roses available but I didn't see them last year. I usually like to visit the local nurseries. I have found Jude the Obscure (which I grabbed very quickly) only once at a local nursery. I have never seen it again. I've found Othello at No frills garden center last spring but I didn't buy it because it didn't do well in my garden at all.

I only have GC and LDB of the ones you have mentioned. They do very well in my garden but it took a few years to establish itself. However, I've found that GC has not been producing thick canes for the last few years. There are lots of canes but tend to be skinnier compared to a few years ago. Maybe I need to feed them better this coming spring since I rarely do.

I have never ordered online for roses so I am very interested to see what your experience is.

rose_crazy_da thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
  • rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks JJpeace you rock..the reason I want to get GC and LDB is because of your previous post. I really want Munstead Wood . I have not ordered anything yet still waiting....

7 years ago

Thanks rose_crazy_da. I hope they do well for you as well. I have yet to see Munstead Wood available here. We probably have to wait a while. I am in contemplating whether to redo my garden this year, professionally. I need to redo my driveway so I may do a patio at the back too. I am really trying hard not to order any roses yet...lol.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I live in Barrie, ON & last season I found some austins at Rona in the clearance section. I picked up LD Braithwaite, Graham Thomas & Othello. I found other austins at The Garden Gallery in Bradford & Barrie. However, they can't guarantee what they will receive for spring. So I'm in the same boat of wanting to order ahead but also wanting to purchase in person. I need 2 lady of shalott & possibly 3 Munstead wood or boscobel to go in front for a new garden bed.

rose_crazy_da thanked HalloBlondie-zone5a
  • Sarah z8
    7 years ago

Great choices! If it were me, I'd order them ! I say that because I too in the past have waited hoping to find them at the nursery only to be disappointed and wishing I had done so.

Sharifa Asma is fantastic. I think you'll love her! Heavenly scent that on warm days you can detect 10 ft away, not to mention her beauty. A total bloom machine too!

I've been trying to locate Lady of Shallot also.

James, your photos of SA capture her beauty perfectly :)

rose_crazy_da thanked Sarah z8
  • rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you James your Sharifa looks awesome.. I still have not pushed the button so to speak ...I feel very undecided at the moment..I want to order the whole list but I do so enjoy going to the local nurseries and getting the plants but I'm pretty sure I will not get all them( on my list)...just sooo confused..

• oldrosarian
    7 years ago

Some mathematics for you to ponder. David Austin roses are selling at nurseries for the large sum of $39.95 and $45.95. Hortico's are half the price.

rose_crazy_da thanked oldrosarian
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

I have not weighed in on this thread as my zone is so different than yours so my growing experience is going to be very different. Sharifa is one of my favorite Austins. That being said, I unfortunately don't grow her anymore. She did not like my heat and sun here and only rebloomed when it was much cooler weather. That may not be an issue for you. Beautiful scent and beautiful flowers.

She stays small for an Austin. I got rid of her when my roses were reverting back to rootstock, so out she went. I probably had her for 10 years. When I first saw her bloom, I thought to myself that I would get rid of all my other roses and just grow her. She is that stunning. She will always have a piece of my heart.

Lady of Shalott is OK. I am not overly impressed with her. I am now growing roses on their own root so I don't have to get rid of any of them due to reversion. So you must take that into account when I review her. She threw out some long canes her first year and produced two bright orange flowers. I almost got rid of her but I did dig her up and put her in a pot until she grows up a bit more. She did better last year but she gets to be big in my climate. Not such bright orange flowers as the first year. She continues to be on probation. Year one flower

Year two flowers during much cooler weather

Munstead is one of my favorites. He is just a blooming machine in my zone and weather. He is lanky and does get throw canes that are about 8 feet or so. I do have to restrain him during the season otherwise he would eat folks as they come up my walkway. He is constantly changing his mind about his bloom colors. During cooler times, they are dark, dark red. Other times he is quite the deep pink. He is hard to capture the colors of his roses just like the Casanova that he is. He has a tendency to grow sideways and you will end up with a lot of crossed canes. He is a bit of a playboy in my mind. I love him dearly. One of Austin's best roses. He is on his own root and again, a blooming machine.

He does not get to the orange side of red at all. Oh, and he has nasty thorns for days to keep this female away from him and continue his show off, good looks, status.

The rest of the DA roses on your list, I have not grown.

rose_crazy_da thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

Sharifa does look beautiful. The one rose I must have is Queen of Sweden. I don't know why but it looks really nice from all the pics I've seen.I tend to like roses with blooms that are not nodding, more straight. Since roses don't get very tall in my zone, I prefer to look down at their blooms rather than crouching down to look at it from the sides. For warmer zones, I would probably prefer nodding ones...lol.

Does anyone have any experience growing this rose in similar zone in 5b?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

I have 2 Queen of Sweden in zone 6a, the blooms are beautiful, but they don't repeat much.

• rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks oldrosarian and Mustbnuts…you have convinced me I
    will be ordering soon….well this is the first hurdle the next one will be actually
    finding a spot for these…I knew last
    year I might be doing this ( ordering roses I have no more room for) so I got
    rid of a magnolia that was pretty spectacular in the spring, I gave it to a
    co-worker she really appreciated it since they cost a couple of hundreds of
    dollars at the nurseries. I will keep
    you all posted…

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

You could plant roses around magnolia. A lot of my rose gardens are around ash, pine trees........

7 years ago

I just checked the Canadian Costco website and they have austins for sale grown on its own roots. They are Tess of the D'ubervilles, Eglantyne, Golen celebration and Winchester Cathedral. This is the first time I've seen it. I really want to order but I need to wait to see if we are redoing our garden this year. Yikes!

• rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

JJ I saw it too...I have Eglantyne does very well for me in the SPRING and has survived five winters .I just put in Winchester Cathedral last year not really impressed by him YET..will wait and see

• rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I finally did it yeahhhhh.I ordered but I took two off the list GC, which I will get at the local Nursery in the west end and LOS. Weird now that the ordering is done I wish I added The
    Albrighton Rambler
    described as ( on HORTICO website)
    Soft pink semi double to double blooms pale to a blush and
    offer a mild, musk fragrance; Blooms are in clustered and cupped form; Hardy
    . It looks good on HMF as well. May be I can call and have Hortico add it to my order. The hardest part is I have wait for almost two months before I get my order. I picked delivery this time didn't want to make the same mistake I did last time picking the order up at Palatine and adding another $200 to the bill. Once again I would like to say Thanks to you all for the lovely pictures and the encouragement to just go ahead and DO IT...

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

Quick question about your roses ordered from hortico. Are they own root austins or are they grafted? I was going to try and find out, but thought perhaps you knew.

7 years ago

How did you add $200 dollars to your bill? I've never ordered roses online, so I am very curious too about the whole process. I am really trying hard not to order anything until I do my driveway and garden/patio.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

They're grafted roses HalloBlondie.

JJpeace, If you don't like shopping online, you can call them and pay over the phone.....easy to do. You can always grow the new roses in pots until your driveway and patio are done......how can you sitting still without ordering any roses, and spring is coming?? lol

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

I added on the Albrighton rambler to my Hortico order, they don't mind at all!! I was not going to order from Hortico this year except it was the only place I could find Cressida. Plus, with Nicole going out of her way to get me pretty Jessica last year, I felt like I probably should continue my patronage!!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

jj, I think she meant if you go in person, more roses find their way to your cart. Likely $200 more than you ordered.

rose_crazy_da thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hallo Blondie – they all grafted on Multiflora I believe ..JJpeace
    ..sorry for the confusion I was talking about the last time I ordered from
    Palatine(2016), I paid for my rose with Credit card on line and than when I went
    to the site I could not help myself I got more roses so that added another
    $200, so this time around I choose to have the roses delivered.

Sheila is right !!!

7 years ago

Summersrhythm: you sure know how to push my "rose" button. You perfected the art of "rose" guilt..haha.

Ros_crazy_da: thanks for clarifiying. I thought you had meant that they mischarged you or something...lol.

My main issue over the years of course has been the dreaded Japanese Beetles. It is one of the reasons why I hesitate buying more roses, although it is one of my favourite spring rituals. I have read that the more fragrant the more JB are attracted to them. Having said that, I did notice they are not really attracted to Double Delight which is an irony in itself.

• rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was just advised by Hortico they do not have Boscobel or
    William Shakespeare 2000 , I'm very disappointed .....I might get darcy bussell and fishermans friend instead , Do you any of you guys grow DB or FF.. pictures would be greatly appreciated

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Oh they're sold out......I have 2 Boscobel and 1 William Shakespeare 2000 in my spring order. You can be on the waiting list for fall or 2018. I have darcy bussell and fishermans friend in my garden, I bought them last year, can't wait for the blooms.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

JJpeace, a lot of DAs are sold out, are you sitting still?? You're missing the train........ :-)

• rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hopefully I will find Boscobel and William Shakespeare 2000 in one the Local Garden Centres here..This year my plan is to go to other to new Nurseries I have never been to in nearby cities ,to see what I've been missing..Is it weird that I have been told I cant have them , I really really want them

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Whole Foods has DAs in the spring, I wish we have a Whole Foods this year, they're building one. Yep, I really want a Lady Gardener, but it's sold out. I know that feeling. I will wait for the fall order, all the nurseries here sell DAs for $35-45 each, too expensive for me.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago
    I was going to order from hortico, but I was too late & the 2 varieties I need are sold out
    :(. On the plus side 2 of my local nurseries are sourcing their suppliers out for potted austins I want. And after an in depth conversation about roses with one of the buyers she is going to try and get more austins in for the general consumers. She told me due to pinterest; all the beautiful plant (roses) pics shown on there, she has had more novice gardeners ask about the austin type roses. She says some of the problems are with the suppliers, they just don't carry the Austins. So she's working on it, and this place is 10 minutes from me!

On another note - since costco is selling David Austins online, perhaps they will sell potted ones in store this spring? I'm going the 1st day they open the garden centre. All roses come & go so fast at Costco.
  • alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    7 years ago

I love Tess of the d'Ubervilles. It is a large thorny climber - has beautiful blooms and is a regular repeater. I always order my DA roses direct from DA. The roses are huge, healthy, and priced very fairly - esp. if you get in on one of the sales. DA's priced at $35-40 are reflecting the markup DA puts on their roses. In my opinion, my money is better spent getting these huge healthy plants directly from DA - unless I have to go elsewhere to get roses they discontinued. The Hortico Austins I got last fall, shipped to me in January, are growing and blooming and are beautiful. To me, the best deal is just to order from DA. Whole Foods had them a bit cheaper and very good plants but only a few varieties. I was in Houston in February and enjoy going there to pick up a few but they weren't in yet. Hate that Chamblees no longer sells the own root DAs. Glad I picked up some before they were sold out.

Judith

rose_crazy_da thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

@alameda - I would love to buy direct from da, their selections is great. But here's my problem with ordering direct from David Austin. I'm in canada & so is rose_crazy_da as well as a few others. By the time I did the US dollar to Canadian conversion added the shipping cost; I was looking at over $300 for 4 own bare root roses. The other thing is the Dr. Huey grafts do not grow well here. They are not good for our climate. We need multifora instead. So we have to go own root. Which may not thrive in colder climates. So that also limits the selection of available roses. But if I'm paying over $75 a rose I don't want to chance failures. Hortico sells on multifora for $18 and I live close enough to drive there.

I am willing to pay $50 for a David austin that I'm hunting for if I can see it in person & it's a good size. My garden centre sometimes carries 2-3 gallon potted austins for $30-35 which I think is quite reasonable. But now that I'm as obsessed as I am with roses & getting more particular in what I like; it's hard to find exactly what I want, when I want it .

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Hallo, which 2 roses you wanted were sold out? I am just wondering. I love Hortico! I am waiting for my package right now! :-) You're only 10 mins away! I'd visit them every weekend!

I order a few roses from DA every year too, but their price keeps me away from buying more. the 15% off is not helping much. I only purchase the ones Hortico doesn't have on their list. Hortico is alway my #1 place to go for DA roses. I am so glad they carry more and more DA roses now. Can't wait to find out their fall listing. :-)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    7 years ago

Wow - don't blame you for not paying $300 for 4 roses! Plus the rootstock issue! Didn't realize you were in Canada.....I was lucky to get several Belle Story roses, a couple of The Reeve, St. Cecelia, Charles Austin, Jessica, Pretty Jessica and several others last fall. They are really growing well! Got notice this morning that my Hortico order will be here next Tuesday! Cant wait!

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I wanted to get 2 lady of shallot & 2 Munstead wood for my front bed. I also want boscobel & a few others for different spots.

I'm 1.5 hour drive from hortico. The 10 minute drive I was referring too was the garden centre that is willing to try & source as many roses as I want. My other favourite local garden centre is huge, nice plants but only orders different plants if they get multiple requests.

If the local place can't get them I will do the special rose order for fall or spring from hortico. I was also too late to order from palatines too. They were sold out of every thing before the cut off date. Again I could drive there in 2 hours to buy potted plants. Now I have to wait & see what is sold locally. The earliest place gets roses in early April. It's an indoor greenhouse. The rest are outdoors so usually end of April or may for them.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Oh sorry, they were all sold out. I think they should have more in the fall. I am 1 hr away from Palatine on the US side. I ordered roses on the 1st day when Palatine opened the window online in Sept. That was a big shopping day for this forum. I also found a lot of potted roses at Palatines last summer. Wayside Gardens has the end of summer sale in May, mark down a lot of DAs to $9-13 each, that's where I got my 2 lady of shallot, I am not sure if they ship to Canada though. Good luck finding those DAs.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Check this out:

David Austin Rose Garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ehViL_Evo

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Hi guys, Is there a whole list of all David Austin roses? I can't find it.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

They extended the sale till the end of the month!

Summer can you pull it up on HMF? Click on his name and it takes you to the DA page, tab at top for roses bred.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Thanks Dingo, got it! My goodness, 11 pages!! I'd be happy if I could collect 1/3........

• rose_crazy_da
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HalloBlondie what's the name of the garden centre near you , I would love to visit someday especially if they have David Austins

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I have found david austins at rona, bradford garden gallery, barrie garden gallery & the barrie garden centre. But its all about the hunt. I have only found sporadic pots by hunting through the inventory at each store. The garden gallery nurseries are comparable to vandemeers & sheridan in size. If I find a whole lot of them this spring I will post the locations. I plan on doing the store hunts as soon as they get stock in. And if the one garden center can order a bunch of austins in I will let you know. I'm still waiting to hear about that.

• romogen
    7 years ago

FYI, there's very little chance of getting Rose Mosaic Virus when ordering from Hortico.

30% of the roses I got from David Austin USA are infected with RMV.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

That's a huge + for hortico!