SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I could sure use some help framing these photos ...

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My brother gave us a wonderful old photo reprint from the part of the country where he lives. He knows that we love the outdoors and Native American culture, and he found this print of Celilo Falls (which no longer exists due to damming) on the Columbia River quite evocative. So do I.

Its size is roughly 8.33" x 14". When enlarged, the details really jump out and the two Native figures standing are wrapped in blanket robes, while the third is clearly wearing western-style clothes that were common among young indigenous men attending boarding schools of the day.

I want to mat/frame it and hang it on our staircase wall, along with three other photographic prints (yet to be purchased, but zeroed in on from an online source), each of which is 11 x 14 (and I want them framed and matted identically). All four of these were taken within 20 years of each other, and all feature the landscape and people of the same region:

I have no desire to have a "gallery wall" full of many pieces. I want the staircase wall to be simple yet definitely touched by art! I believe that ordinarily, an odd number of pieces on the wall might be preferable, but we've mapped out where we want these hung along the stairway and four is perfect. We want the overall size of the frames to be fairly large - 18" x 24". We'll hang these in the order of vertical, horizontal, vertical, horizontal - going up from the bottom of the stairs, hung so that eye level is in the middle of each piece as you go up. Make sense?

I really don't want to pay to have these custom framed. The last time I did that, I used Michaels and while they did a beautiful job, it was very pricey. I believe I should be able to purchase online frames and mats and everything else I'll need to do the job myself. If you know of a good source for good quality materials that are reasonably priced, please share. (The last time I looked at larger ready-made frames at Michaels I was underwhelmed by the choices.)

I also really don't quite know how to go about "doing the math" to ensure that these come out to the 18" x 24" size we want. Would the 11" x 14" prints go into 16" x 20" frames that would then come out overall to around 18" x 24"? (See? Told you I need help with this!)

I want the frame on each of these to be at least 2" wide. I'm leaning towards a nice black or black-brown frame, nothing too ornate but not too plain either. Actually, I go back and forth between moldings like this:

And plainer ones like this:

I want simple, wide white or cream mats for each of these. Am I going to have to get a custom mat made for the photo that's odd-sized (~8.33" x 14")? I think one of the 11" x 14" prints may actually be slightly less than 11" in width too.

Where do I even begin to pull this all together? The more I look at various websites, the more confused I'm getting. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Comments (22)