SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

"New Old House" Design

Holly Stockley
7 years ago

My husband and I are in the very early stages of building a "new old house" - something that looks like it belongs where it is and will age as gracefully as we can manage. Versaci's books "Roots of Home, " and "Creating the New Old House" are helpful, although aimed at a higher budget and degree of authenticity than we're likely to be able to manage. While I don't always agree with some of his.... screeds... on the way we live today, I do find it interesting that he advocates creating a "story" for the house. Have you done this, and how did you go about it?

How do architects generally feel about that sort of thing?

Beyond possibly a bubble diagram, lists of things we really feel we need, what we'd like, and "pie in the sky" stuff, what else ought we have prepared for our initial meeting with the architect? (A general concept, budget, a survey of the property, satellite image of it, and a couple Pinterest boards have already been forwarded along, so that he would have some idea where we're headed)

How do you decide where to draw the line between "authentic" vintage items and design, "close enough", and when entirely modern will do? (For instance, there is a local architectural salvage yard that sells light fixtures that have been entirely rewired. I think I might want a couple - but may need to mix in some vintage "inspired" modern stuff so as not to drive both myself and my poor builder up the wall).

Comments (12)