SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mocabunge

Architectural Salvaging Newbies (Building a New Old House)

3 years ago

Hello, all! I suppose there are actually a few different questions embedded within my main question: “what are the most cost effective ways to build a new house to feel genuine and old?”

*disclaimer, I’m intentionally not specifying the style and keeping it more general in the hopes that casting a “wider net” will help to provide more options/ideas vs. only getting a response from a specific point of view/niche group

My husband and I are interested in building a “new old house” on our dream property — we are in the very preliminary stages of design, but logic tells me that if we want to incorporate some architectural salvage, it’s better to begin “shopping” around sooner rather than later. I have no idea where to start nor how to begin and am hoping that some of you experts and veterans can chime in and give me some tips! I know that style has a lot to do with this, but in general...

1. What are some of the key items to salvage in order to achieve that old house feel?
  2. where are the best places/what are the best ways to go about salvaging?
  3. I know this question is equally broad, but in the event we are unable to salvage, do y’all have any suggestions for finding new materials/appliances/architectural elements that look and feel old/authentic?
  4. Any resources or other tidbits that you can share to help achieve the new old house feel?

Comments (25)