SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Do any of you have this 'problem' with your white noise machine, lol?

amicus
7 years ago

After struggling with waking up at night, I bought a 'white noise' machine about 10 years ago, (as they're smaller than most fans and probably use less electricity.) It does such a great job of lulling me to sleep!

Although these machines offer several sounds, 'white noise' works best for me, as it's more monotone. 'Ocean waves' or 'thunderstorms' etc., periodically change pitch and rhythm, which keeps me awake. But lately, even my beloved 'white noise' is failing to lull me to sleep. Just as I start to drift off, it starts 'chanting' some nonsensical phrase that totally rouses me from my near sleep state.

I obviously know that my white noise machine isn't really uttering anything, lol! But the monotone whirring it starts out with, now changes after several minutes to a less consistent sound, that tricks my ears into thinking they hear muffled singsong phrases. The only way to unhear the little ditty is to lay on my side with one ear to the pillow, which blurs the sound a bit. If I'm lucky enough to fall asleep in this position, I don't wake up upon changing positions throughout the night.

I was just curious if any of you with a sound machine who use 'white noise' ever experience the same thing? I'm thinking this audio hallucination might not be perceived in the settings with more variance than 'white noise.' The nonsensical phrases I perceive, differ every night, but continue on a loop until I doze off. Some of the ones I recall are:

"Granny's knees are dirty! Granny's knees are dirty! ......."

"The tall cheese won't keep! The tall cheese won't keep!....."

"Dogs are jumping! Dogs are jumping!....."

"Marshmallows in a box! Marshmallows in a box!....."

and last night's made me chuckle out loud, before I put an ear to the pillow and managed to drift off -

"The Queen is making poo poo, the Queen is making poo poo"

I'm happy to say that when I asked DD who was visiting, if she perceived anything sounding like words, from my machine, to write it on a slip of paper. She heard "Peanut butter in a vase.." when I heard "See the otter any day..." So at least she didn't just hear whirring and there was even a slight similarity to what we 'heard' lol!

Comments (13)