For Moms Everywhere - Where Did I Go Wrong?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (42)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Schlumbergera bud drop...Where did I go wrong?
Comments (5)Too much water, methinks - they do like to dry out between waterings, from what I've seen. As they're originally from the tropical jungle, they'd go dry between rains, only retaining moisture for a few days when the medium they're growing in (dirt, fallen leaves, bits of bird and such) dries out. OTOH, if you've kept it moist before and it flowered, my suggestion is not correct and the jungle cactus folk who actually have grown this plant will help you out....See MorePrimer tacky after 48 hours, where did I go wrong?
Comments (6)I just noticed I was replying to a very, very old post, but figured I'd leave it in case anyone is still reading. I had a bad experience with this zinsser oil based interior/exterior cover stain as well. I did not tint but it is tintable. I used it right after buying from depot and having it shaken for 5 min at the counter. I applied on an outside beam that was partially prepped with a wood hardener after removing dry rot, but the majority was just the previous paint that was in good shape. 2 days after painting, it's still slightly tacky. I called zinsser support and they said the only thing they could think of is if I had been applied on too hot of a day, saying it needs to be under 80F. It was topped out at just under 70 the day I painted, but the sun here does get hot in the South Bay below San Francisco, so maybe the surface was hotter?? I'll check today compared to air temp. If temperature wasn't the cause, then my experience seems similar to yours. In my case it would be a huge job to remove the product from the large outdoor beam so I'm looking for other solutions. I still need to add an epoxy pc woodie filler where I had removed and cleaned out dry rot before applying the cover stain (just used to make sure the pc woodie epoxy would stick and add an extra layer of protection against the weather to the entire beam...which I now wish I had skipped!) My current plan is to wait it out a week or 2 and hopefully dries (next week is supposed to be low 70's but the rest of this week is 80's. In the upper 80's the 2nd layer is even forming a few bubbles, so I've just been popping those to make sure it dries out beneath. It's only slightly tacky, but looking for no tackiness before I take the next step. If anyone has any tips or any idea if waiting longer will help, let me know please. Thanks! And for the next time, a better product to use than this zinsser oil based primer which was highly recommended by depot....See MoreWhere did I go wrong with my morning glories?
Comments (11)Sorry I was in a hurry due to the word limit. I tried less water, I tried more water. Less sun and more sun. I tried small amounts of fertilizer. I cut more holes in the planter to make sure it was draining properly. The snails were nipping at them but that shouldn't kill off an entire vine so I treated for bugs and for fungus. Nothing seemed wrong with them other than some holes in the leaves (from the snails) and the fact they were dying. I believe it's Miracle Grow Garden Soil in the planter. The morning glories are the only thing in there except the trellis. I figured being vines they choke anything else out. Many of my neighbors have them basically growing wild. I have no idea why mine just died when they were doing so well. Any advice for next season would be appreciated....See MoreWhere did I go wrong with pre-emergent application?
Comments (6)I'm in Greenville SC, so not too different of a climate zone. Fall of 2014, I had a similar situation as yours, but much worse. Sodded Bermuda with a massive number of broadleaf and grassy weeds (maybe about 3x what your pics show). Battled those down all of 2015 and did a lot of reading and research to figure out what my weeds were and what was the best way to make the next year better. I went with an application of Prodiamine, which is the same active ingredient in Stonewall. I had planned to do a split application, but decided the 2nd app wasn't needed because of our mild temperatures. So, it was about 0.2oz/1000 sqft applied Sept 12th 2015 with my sprayer. I went with the liquid for better coverage. This was my first time using it, and I am very impressed with the results. I have almost no broadleaf weeds so far this year *except* right around the edges of the lawn where I probably didn't spray well. In your 2nd pic, I believe the weed on the right is a Carolina Geranium, and the middle one is some sort of thistle (Creeping Thistle?). Not sure about that left one, however, Prodiamine should have fairly consistently knocked out those first two. That makes me think either the application wasn't enough, wasn't timed correctly, or wasn't spread evenly. So, if I had to suggest a change for next year, you might try the liquid instead of the granules, and apply about a month earlier. Target Sept 15th for our area, but with Prodiamine, it lasts a good amount of time in the soil, so earlier won't be a bad thing....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESWhy Marble Might Be Wrong for Your Bathroom
You love its beauty and instant high-quality appeal, but bathroom marble has its drawbacks. Here's what to know before you buy
Full Story
DISASTER PREP & RECOVERYRemodeling After Water Damage: Tips From a Homeowner Who Did It
Learn the crucial steps and coping mechanisms that can help when flooding strikes your home
Full Story
BUDGETING YOUR PROJECTHouzz Call: What Did Your Kitchen Renovation Teach You About Budgeting?
Cost is often the biggest shocker in a home renovation project. Share your wisdom to help your fellow Houzzers
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhere to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘Every Room Should Have the Right Wrong Thing’ and More
This week on Houzz we were inspired to break out of catalog styling ruts and let our design freak flags fly
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSWorld of Design: Where Color Trends Begin
Colors go in and out of vogue. Here’s how they make their way into our home decor
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘The Wrong Sink Can Make You Hate Your Kitchen’
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
VALENTINE’S DAYTell Us: Why Did You Fall in Love With Your House?
What was it about your house that made your heart flutter? Share your photo, and it could make the Houzz homepage
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDid Elves Make a Home in a San Francisco Park?
Speculation has swirled around a Lilliputian doorway in Golden Gate Park. We give you the true story — and a design dilemma
Full Story
javiwa