SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26461266

Time to be realistic, regroup, re-organize and re-plan!

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all.
About 16 months ago, I posted plans and sought advice for a very large kitchen move/renovation. At the same time, we also had two immediate elderly family members become ill – one quite wealthy and the other very poor. It was a trying time and in the process, we learned a lot about health care in this country and, depending on one’s financial resources, the type of care received at the end of life. It was eye-opening and we saw the best and worst in people (lots of gory details of scammers and vultures coming out of the woodwork particularly for the wealthy relative that I will leave for another forum). Thus, we really decided it was important to crack down on our own retirement planning. We met with a financial planner who brought us back down to earth/reality. We simply cannot afford that large of a renovation only 10 years from retirement. So now I that I am hopefully more realistic, it is time to regroup, re-plan and eventually re-design.

Before I even begin to redesign, I want to organize and triage my kitchen. I am planning to donate quite a bit and want to come up with some storage options in the basement for lesser used items that I still want to keep. I think getting a handle on what is essential to everyday cooking is important before I go any further with a renovation. I would like to use some IKEA Sektion HIGH cabinets (with the least expensive doors available) in my basement for overflow storage (particularly bakeware that is hardly used, holiday items, etc.).

There will be NO countertop -- just 80 inch tall base cabinets with some possible drawers inside. The basement walls and floor are both poured concrete. Thus, the walls have a slightly rough texture and the floors can be uneven in spots (not major just not exactly level either).

Would using the suspension rail system work in this environment? We would use toggle bolts/anchor in the concrete wall and their leg components for further leveling.

Since it is a basement, I prefer closed cabinets and have ruled out the IVAR system. I could use the PAX wardrobe system but think the quality of the kitchen cabinet bases would be better.

Any insight on using Sektion high cabinets in a basement with texture to the wall and a slightly uneven floor in spots would be greatly appreciated. I am also open to other suggestions if it is closed storage. I do not need countertops, just storage.
Thanks!

Comments (11)