SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine

Direct vent furnace -- exhaust smell in basement

mabeldingeldine
7 years ago

You good folks were an enormous help last year when I was replacing a boiler in a home I was remodeling that I am back for more advice. My current home/reno project is a 1660 sqft single-story home built in 1990, with a full poured daylight foundation. It has an in-law apartment in the daylight half of the basement.

The original oil-fired boiler was replaced in 2015 with a Utica boiler. It is a direct vent and the vent is located about 2 feet of the ground between 2 windows. In the warm weather when we have windows open, exhaust will drift in the windows near the vent when the furnace runs -- very annoying. I had a home inspection and my boiler technician look the system over; both said the set up was not ideal but was acceptable.

In late fall when I had the boiler cleaned, the boiler tech also worked on the exhaust, replacing the damper and generally re-supporting the piping to reduce noise. Last night, when I went down to the basement, I could smell exhaust. It was not overpowering but definitely there. We have new CO detectors installed in the basement and upstairs -- no alarm from either, just the smell.

What could be causing this? My previous home of many years had an ancient boiler than ran like a champ and exhausted through a traditional chimney, so I am unfamiliar with the direct vent concept. I'm happy to call our burner service company out but would like to know a bit more about the problem.

Comments (25)