SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_edwards50

Hooking up ice maker waterline to washing machine line?

Gina Edwards
7 years ago

I'm going to hook up our new fridge ice maker/water dispenser, to the cold waterline for the washer. Can you think of any sanitation issues with this configuration, is the water that comes out of the washer line considered portable water? Do you think the taste from the washers rubber hose will transfer over via the 'Y' connector to the ice maker?

We live in a mobile home, and my laundry room is right behind my fridge, a much shorter distance than the sink. Also; our sink inlet lines are solid with no shut off valves, our home was made in 1994.

I'm planning on drilling a hole in the wall behind the fridge, and running a braided waterline from the washer outlet to the fridge inlet. Below is the configuration I plan on using, do you foresee any issues with the below setup?

Attach a brass garden hose "Y" with a shut off valve, a braided ice maker line, Teflon tape and a few adapters to reduce/make the connection from the "Y" to the braided line. Then just connect everything up (using Teflon tape).

Washing machine cold water supply > garden hose "Y" > garden hose shutoff valve > reducer > reducer > braided ice maker line > refrigerator.

My biggest concern is finding the adapters for downsizing from 3/4 female to 1/4 male needed to attach the ice maker waterline. (Below are the supplies I plan to purchase)

Thank you for any input!

Comments (5)