SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jinnylea

Ahh.. I ate my first ever Kumquat!

jinnylea
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I picked my only ripe Nagami Kumquat off of the tree yesterday. I have been waiting in anticipation for weeks and it twisted off with relative ease. I so wanted to just pop that gorgeous fruit right in my mouth at that very moment, but I rinsed it off, rubbed it between my palms and took in the intoxicating scent of the sweet orange rind.. and out of curiosity I split it in half with a knife and took another whiff before picking out a couple of tiny seeds. I popped a tiny piece of the pulp that had fallen out after slicing it, in my mouth. It had a slightly sour, juicy orange citrus flavor.. Not bad! Next, I nibbled on the end of the slightly sweet rind. Then popped the rest in my mouth and it was like a shocking matrimonial ceremony between tart and sweet! I enjoyed every second of it, that is until that explosive bitter after taste at the end! Lol.. I am not sure if the bitterness was from a small seed or part of the pith. The Nagami Kumquat is loaded with green fruit and I wait in anticipation for the rest of the fruit to ripen. I love this tree! The shape, the ease of care, hardiness, the fruit. It is truly beautiful. I plan on ordering a Meiwa Kumquat this spring.. :) I saved the two seeds to plant.

Have a lovely evening! ♡

Comments (22)