SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19722038

Conflicts using Windows Defender and Norton 360

User
7 years ago

I'm using Vista (yes, I know, I need to upgrade.) I've used Norton 360 for years now. The other day I had an error message that my computer had security risks from Windows Defender. When I looked at it the antivirus and malware buttons were off. I found out after chatting with Norton that my product needed to be updated to the newest version which took a LONG time. I asked why this happened, I thought it should update automatically and really didn't get an answer. Then everything worked fine until this morning. I had an error message that Norton had done an update and that I needed to restart. (I had never gotten that message before.) So I did and all hell broke loose. Windows explorer wasn't responding, I tried to shut down again and it wouldn't shut down, I finally had to shut off the power and start again, then I didn't get the normal screen when it comes on, just a blue screen. I re-did it a couple of times and finally got back in and went to Norton chat. They looked at it and said it was fine. So I asked if I should turn off Windows Defender (which I had already done) and they said yes, there's no reason to run it. Also since my OS is so old, Microsoft stopped doing updates a few months ago. Any thoughts on if this is true about not running Windows Defender on Vista along with Norton 360 and if not, what caused all this besides my OS being a dinosaur. And please don't get technical because I won't understand.

Comments (4)