SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_faircloth

Appropriate Flooring for 1900s Folk Victorian kitchen

Sarah Faircloth
7 years ago

We have about 3-4 layers of flooring in our kitchen.

Tongue and groove subfloor, a layer of linoleum, another layer of linoleum, thick layer of MDF wood, and a thick layer of laminate that is currently on top.

I dont like what is currently down because 1. It doesnt look good and 2. its uneven and separating in areas.
We are putting in new cabinetry and a kitchen island so MY thinking is we need to pull the flooring up before we install the cabinets and island.

Id keep the tongue and groove subfloor but I fear it will be terribly cold. The floor in here is already cold, even with insulation in the crawlspace.

I know I dont want linoleum, Im afraid tile is going to crack with it being an older house, shifting, and general uneven-ness.
With wood I fear Ill never find something that matches the rest of the house (3/4" thick 2.5 wide pine tongue and groove). You can see the kitchen floor from the rest of the public areas of the house.

Affordability has to come into factor. Its a 14x11ft room, but with cabinetry itll be 12x11ft.
I can do tear out myself, but with the cost of materials plus installation Im not looking to go over $1000.

We are installing shaker style cabinets. White wall cabinets with a gray island. The counter tops will be white with light grey veining.

Is there a type of flooring within my budget that will look good in the house?

Comments (6)