SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anon_username

Is my kitchen too small for a wall oven/microwave combo?

Anon Username
7 years ago

My kitchen is roughly 12x12. I've attached a couple of pictures.

As the pictures show, there is about a 32" strip of countertop to the right of my refrigerator. I'm thinking about having that space (including the cabinets of course) reworked to accommodate a wall oven + wall microwave. I've attached two other pictures that I found on this website showing the general idea of what I am thinking about doing.

If I were to do this, I would get rid of the range and instead do a 30" induction cooktop with drawers or cabinets beneath it. So the total amount of storage space actually would not suffer all that much. In place of the current OTR microwave, I would put a real range hood.

My question is this: From a design perspective, is my kitchen too small for this to be a good idea? Even if I did this and lost the ~32 linear inches of countertop to the right of my refrigerator, I am still left with around 13-14 linear feet of usable countertop (excluding the kitchen sink). I have always read that small-ish kitchens tend to do better with ranges, like I have currently. And I'm just curious if people think my kitchen is too small for what I am proposing, and if they think I would be better off just sticking with a range (or a cooktop with a wall-oven directly beneath it).

Any input greatly appreciated!

Comments (19)