SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenz5

Early 2017 Season Preparations

Golden David
7 years ago

Hi RMG! We have finally reached December, the month of the year where you really can't do much gardening in zone 5.

I normally like to spend my December daydreaming about how glorious my next gardening season will be, regardless of any grim reality from the previous season. I've learned not to jump the gun TOO far usually, having started some seeds in December under lights or heat in the greenhouse to find little successes. Legend has it that leeks and strawberries and snapdragons can be started this early ...

Anyway this year I've decided to try to take a longer view after obtaining 30 yard waste bags from my neighborhood and about 500lbs of composted horse manure from a local farm, and an abundance of free time (long story).

So I spread my winter mulch in the main garden

And I built a leaf mold box/potato planter out of 4 2x4 sheets of plywood, not pictured.

And I built some 8x2x18" raised beds. For these in particular I excavated a foot down and have filled them up with layers in order of partially rotted logs, vegetable compost, native clay soil, fall leaves, more soil and a top dressing of 8" of horse compost.

I've been watering this all in and am excited for the potential. I'm considering whether to plant it with winter rye now or cover with black plastic to make sure the horse poop finishes as much as possible. Not sure if that matters if it has 3 months to age before Garden season starts.

Anyway enough about me for now, what are you all up to?

Comments (5)