SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December Harvest/Planning/Conversation Thread

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It was a cold and frosty morning......Hello, December!

I left the word 'harvest' in the title of this thread, though most of us will not be harvesting much this month, except for cold-hardy greens and such.

A lot of us will be focusing more on garden planning, garden cleanup and garden soil preparation this month instead of harvesting very much of anything.

Mostly we will be just trying to maintain our sanity in the mad rush to prepare for and enjoy the December holiday season while also trying to endure the ever-decreasing daylength and the colder weather.

On the bright side, we only have three more weeks of decreasing daylength left, and then the daylength starts getting longer again as we move towards Spring.

I'm starting tomato seeds today in an effort to have my own very early transplants ready by the same time the first tomato seedlings begin arriving in the local stores. I've never started them this early before because I've always worried that all the holiday preparations will get in the way of me caring for the seedlings properly, but this year I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I also hope to finalize my grow list of other veggies for the 2017 garden over the next couple of days.

So, y'all, let's keep the garden talk flowing through the month of December as we bid farewell to the 2016 growing season, more or less, and look ahead to the 2017 planting and growing season.

Dawn

Comments (118)