SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

March 2017 Planting/Conversation Thread

It's a new month. Hello, March!

For many of us, March came roaring in like a lion overnight/early this morning as the cold front finally pushed its way through the state. The wind here roared as the cold front rolled through our area around 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. I could hear the wind long before I could feel the change in the air temperature, which suddenly dropped like a rock after staying abnormally warm most of the night. Now, that's the March weather we're all familiar with--fiercely windy, and a bit chilly.

Here's the Max Wind Gust map, showing each Mesonet station's strongest gust since midnight:

Max Wind Gust Since Midnight

Largely because of the wind, but also in combination with other conditions, Fire Danger is ramping up. The Fire Danger Graphic on the NWS-Norman webpage shows fire danger is either Elevated or Near Critical each day for the next seven days. This graphic updates, often multiple times per day, and may change. Just a reminder that the same conditions that contribute to higher fire danger (strong wind, lower relative humidity and, often, warm temperatures) also are hard on young plant seedlings so remember to take that into account when hardening off seedlings. It often is the wind as much as the sunlight itself that can cause damage to young seedlings raised indoors as we harden them off in preparation for their transition into the ground or outdoor containers.

I use the Relative Greenness map from the OKFire portion of the mesonet to track improvement in our greenness (or the lack of such) during fire season. The relative greenness numbers update weekly. I'll use my county as an example since it is the location I've been watching. A couple of weeks ago, our Relative Greenness was only 19%, which is not shocking since we still were in the midst of winter. Last week, it went up to 29%, which was a nice improvement for one week and it did reflect the increasing green I was seeing visually around me. This week it just went up to 41%, another nice improvement. We are seeing a lot more green in the fields, but it isn't enough yet to stop any grass fires that start from raging through grassland pretty fast. We're usually not green enough to slow down or stop the fires until April.

Here's the Relative Greenness Map for OK this week:

Relative Greenness Map

The next couple of weeks look nice and mild, and mostly warm, overall, so it looks like a terrific time to be planting the last of the cool season plants over the next week or two, and to begin making semi-firm plans to start planting the warm-season plants after that.

Here's the 8-14 day temperature outlook:

8-14 Day Temperature Outlook

The prospect of warm temperatures seems nice right---they please a gardener's soul.

For the same forecast period, the precipitation forecast is more neutral for most of the state, but decidedly dry for the OK panhandle and far NW OK:

8-14 Day Precipitation Outlook

I sort of like the precipitation outlook. I'd rather have the weather a bit on the dry side while planting the root crops, since it is no fun mudding in the potatoes. Hopefully we still will get enough rain, even in small batches, to help the seeds we sow germinate without much irrigation.

I'm hoping the March weather roller coaster smooths out a little more and doesn't send us and our plans ricocheting from cold to hot and back to cold again quite as much as February's weather did.

Dawn

Comments (394)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals