SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Pictures of my house

marilyn_c
7 years ago

Ann wanted to see the pictures of my house....Picasa moved the album but I found it when I searched for Scanlon Road House, which is what the house mover called the house. We've done a lot since these pics were taken and I haven't updated the album because I had a falling out with my husband over some of the things he did, which I thought were pretty....crappy. We have finished the half of the bathroom with the shower....still haven't finished the part for the bathtub. Need to get the tub refinished. It is from 1895....dated on the bottom. Has lion feet instead of claw feet. Last thing we worked on was putting a better floor down in the pantry/mud room. I'd be all for selling this place and moving away....if not for the house. This house sat on the mover's lot for about 8 years. I always wanted it. (Be careful what you wish for!) They said it was sold and after 8 years, I found out the guy who bought it and paid for it, couldn't get it moved because he was in prison in Louisiana. So we bought it from his sister. Total was $15,000 which included moving it, because the guy had already paid $41,000 for the house....so the moving was paid for.

Believe it or not, several people wanted the house....as bad as it was, but no one had the cash, and a bank wasn't going to loan any money on a house like this. And if anyone had the money....who would spend it on a house like this? Uh....we did. ;)

The house has an interesting history. It was the foreman's house on a ranch, formerly a sugar plantation, called Sienna Plantation. It was built from debris left over from the 1900 Galveston Hurricane, and was brought by barge up the Brazos River. The ranch was sold and it is now an upscale subdivision....also called Sienna Plantation. The original owner left the place to his two eccentric daughters. They lived in a big old Victorian house in Houston, but had a falling out with the city because they cut down some trees, so they had the house dismantled and moved to the ranch. Neither of them ever married, so they left the ranch to the Catholic church and for awhile it was a Catholic retreat. I heard that the 91 year old foreman was still living in the house. When the property was sold, they gave my house to a house moving company. I heard that the Victorian house was restored and is still there, but I've never seen it.

We used a lot of stuff I had collected for many years. The reading room window in the bathroom, I bought in 1980 and there is a story that goes with that too. ;)

The windows in the attic that are shaped like a half of a wagon wheel....celestory windows, I think you call them...came out of a bank. Anyway, here's the album with some of the pictures.
Scanlon Road House

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio