SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Please comment on my exterior paint color? (PICS)

try_hard
16 years ago

I have to decide what colors to use on my exterior trim, shutters, and garage door (new construction house.) I'm hoping you can provide some suggestions.

Here is a picture of my inspiration house:

Close up of the inspiration house:

You will notice the stucco is putty gray, the trim paint is dark, dark gray, and the rock is multi-colored grays, golds, browns, and beiges. The garage door and shutters are stained a golden color.

And here are pictures of my house as of last week:

We used the same stucco color and rock as the inspiration house (the builders sort of know each other so the inspiration builder told my builder which materials he used) and also plan to use the same dark gray trim paint -Hazel's Coat by Kelly-Moore:

Now, on to my problem: I need to decide what color our garage door and shutters should be. I could copy my inspiration house and have them stained a golden brown but my house faces southwest and my painter tells me that if I stain them, I will have to re-stain them every few years because of the intense sun and heat in my city. I believe him because I know someone who has had to stain their garage door 3 times in the past 8 years due to excessive fading in the sun. DH and I are not handy people, by the way.

If I rule out staining, I guess my only option is to use paint. But I don't know what color to use. I don't want to use the dark gray trim color or else our house will look like a prison - too much gray. I need something warm to liven it up. But I'm concerned about painting them golden brown. It seems like it would be too much, too intense, too strange. Also, my front door is stained a walnut color so that adds something else into the mix.

Please tell me what you think about all of this - I don't have the Designer's Eye so it's incredibly challenging and stressful for me to figure this stuff out. I seem to think everything needs to be matchy-matchy and symmetrical so the paint colors have been hands-down the hardest part of the whole building process.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Try_Hard

Comments (35)

• squirrel_girl
    16 years ago

I say take the walnut color of the front door and transfer it to the garage door and shutters. I keept trying to peer into the front door area to see what color it was. It looked like it had some warm tones to it and I liked it.

Georgeous house by the way.

• debb
    16 years ago

Hi - just quickly my initial thoughts are to just pick out a paint color for the garage door that mimics the warm tones of walnut that you will be using on your front door. Doesn't have to be identical just in the same family.

Hope this doesn't throw a monkey wrench into your plans, but my first thought on your inspiration home is that the trim color could be even a darker gray.

I do like the idea and look of cool grays and warm tones mixed together (like your stone work).

Very nice home! Good luck with it all.

• Related Discussions

Red or Black Front Door? Please comment - pics

Q

Comments (63)
    Cindy, I forgot to tell you how pretty your house is:) I have seen vines being trained on a string....you just attach it to the house where you want it to go. I saw the most beautiful pic somewhere of ivy being trained on a big brick wall in a harlequin pattern. Another thought I had....you window above the door - could you paint the trim around the window the same color as your door? All of your other windows have stone trim(darker). You could also maybe paint the arch trim around the door. I am thinking this would give it a more cohesive look to your house - 2 big urns with plants & your done. I also really like that plum color that Lindy last posted, too. Smiles:)
    ...See More

can we talk exterior paint for my 70s ranch...again? (pic)

Q

Comments (38)
    I would suggest when you do paint the house that you paint the whole house first with that strip painted out so he can see it without and paint that piece of the trim last as then you can see how it would look without and with it. Well what I was trying to say is your house does lean towards the spanish revival and you keep saying you want spanish and not tuscan, mexican etc. and really what is spanish color theme tends to be white or a very light color that reads white with a darker trim color such as brown, or more very muted colors. Landscaping makes a huge difference in how a house looks too. What I'm wondering is if you really have settled in your mind what you want the house to be or if you really need the house to be one particular style. Many color will work for your house as long as you pick something that works with the roof color. Maybe it is your mentioning spanish that throws me off. BTW if you look at the picture I posted it is a very simple style except for the tower and the other items are things your house has or will have too. You have arches, you have the curved wall, the raised trim, you're adding a pergola (not a porch like in the house shown). You could on your gable sides add corbels either dark stained wood or faux looking wood like you're planning for the garage door. If you look at a spanish villa - they tend to be white, with tile roofs, mainly boxy. Some have arches, some have railings that are often white and look like concrete formed (don't know the correct terminology). I guess I would ask yourself do you want the spanish look, or does it really matter and should you just go with a color that you like and not worry about trying to keep to a particular style?
    ...See More

What color should I paint my exterior? PICS!

Q

Comments (11)
    Wow! Thanks for the ideas. I never considered dark trim. Here are a couple pics that inspired the house and the color scheme. But I'm definitely going to consider dark trim now! I'm searching for pics to inspire that new direction.
    ...See More

What paint color/trim to paint my exterior? Should I add shudders?!

Q

Comments (14)
    I would try to convince her to 'uninsist'. That seems to blend into its site in its earthy color. A plus to my eye - And I am also in the PNW. She needs landscaping. My own ground here on the coast is too wet for spading and preparing new beds in January. And please note that the house behind and to the left are white. This house also white would be redundant.
    ...See More
  • les917
    16 years ago

I don't know but I am guessing that even if the door is painted, it will fade and need to be done regularly, so I am not sure if you are really buying yourself much in that way.

I would want the door to disappear a bit so that it doesn't become the focal point of the front of the house. Your entry is already narrow and kind of hidden, so having the door be anything too prominent would further detract from the entry imo. My inclination would be to paint (if you are going to paint) the inside of the panels the same color as the stucco, and the raised parts in the color of the trim, if you want some contrast. Otherwise, I would do the door the same color as the stucco. In either case I would add some interesting hardware, perhaps in the same metal (copper?) as the spires and over the eyebrow window.

Whatever you choose, best wishes for many happy years in your new home!

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I would do the brown on the garage door & Shutters the same as the inspiration house. I think it's very pretty and I like the brown with the stone.

I take it your front door is a lighter stain than the inspiration house's? Either way, I like the medium tone brown on the shutters and garage door. I think those two should match.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Caroleoh: My front door is a little darker than the inspiration house. But I think my painter could find a stain that closely approximates the inspiration house yet still looks good with my front door.

SquirrelGirl: I wish I had a better pic of the front door but it's still covered with plastic to protect it from all the other activity going on.

Les917: Good point about needing to re-paint periodically. I had not thought about it that way. Maybe it's 6 of one, half-dozen of another?

I really want to stain it but I am worried about upkeep.

try_hard

• valley57
    16 years ago

I think your home is lovely. The stone is beautiful. I also completely agree that if your dooors/shutters are going to fade due to sun, the same thing will happen if you paint them. I think staining them in a golden hue will look so nice against your beautiful stonework. Let us know what you decide!

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Valley57. I am going to bring this up with the painter. He and I have only talked about stain fading, not paint.

try_hard

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Do you want to accent the garage door with the brown color? Another option is you could paint it the house color and you wont have the fading issue. The front door becomes the focal point....just an idea. The house is beautful.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GK5040,
    It wasn't my intent to call attention to the garage door but I think the golden brown stain warms up the exterior of the home. Right now it looks drab and I think a warm color would help things quite a bit. I know that the lanscaping will make a big difference in "de-drabbing" it but I really like the effect the stained garage/shutters have on my inspiration house.

try_hard

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd just plan for a medium brown in a weathered finish (not thinking of colors right now). A weathered wood finish would be gorgeous, actually, which is what your inspiration house looks to have anyway, even if it is just acquired naturally :) If the walnut stain on the door is really dark, (which is what I usually see with walnut) then I'd probably go lighter than that since there isn't much of the deep brown in your stone. Although your roofing does appear to read quite dark. (A virtual would help there! :) but I can't do one right now, myself.)

• backsweat
    16 years ago

I don't think paint is going to do your garage and shutters justice. It looks like there is a rust/burgandy shingle among the mix of grays as well as a few darker brown stones in the siding. I'd defiitely go with a rich, golden brown, semi-solid (not opaque) stain. Bottom line is that whether it's painted or stained your going to have maintenance. Paint peels and flakes, semi solidstain just fades so the maintenance is just another coat but not sanding/scraping. I know the pros will say if done right, these things won't happen, but it's not going to last 8 years in that heat. Additionally, the garage just looks like its screamin' to be stained. LOL IMO

I like the inspiration pic, but even the stain on that garage/shutters, looks a bit washed out. I think you could go a bit richer/warmer, even slight hint of red. (note SLIGHT. It will tie well with the stone and the brownish red shingles.

If you paint it that same type of brownish color, it will look cheesy (IMO) and going with the gray/putty will be pretty drab.

Im not sure what their called, but you might even stain the architectural wood feature under the upper soffits the same color. Looks nice now, but it will also fade to silver I assume if not stained. I'll pull the whole thing together.

On the shutter's I'd go with the same general style, as on the inspiration, but im not sure if I'd curve the tops because your window is square at the top. Though, your doorway is arched so it may tie well.

Maybe one of the resident photoshoppers could work their magic.

But definitely go stain IMO. Looks great thus far..happy living!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd love to play but at the moment I'm gettin' after myself. (Can you tell, lol :) Oh well. Doing better anyway :)

Lindybarts -- your house has a similar stone and a brownish stucco as I recall -- with painted brown shutters and is gorgeous! Maybe you could post a pic?

I do like the stain but am brainwashed by the inspiration pic, so... The wood on the garage door looks meant for stain, also, so that would be a shame. I don't think paint would look bad on the house, though, is what I'm saying.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are a few things to look at.

#1 Overwhelmingly dark walnut:

#2 Lighter warm brown:

#3 Lighter still, grayed:

{{!gwi}}

#4 Medium, golden brown:

#5 Medium dark warm brown

#6 Medium dark warm French gray:

#7 Medium dark warm French gray - with landscaping:

#8 Cool medium dark gray-brown, just a bit warm -- maybe it's a dark French gray!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

The front door will always look darker, it's in the shade.
    I like #8, I would even go lighter than that, in the same colorway.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

I would do your research on the better quality stains, talk to another painter (who has no interest in the project) for their opinion on what type of stain protection would hold up the best. Our experience with stain is that every time you restain (as maintenance) you can get darker and darker colors, so if the garage door wears more at the bottom it might be more difficult to maintain an even color over time....we always had this issue with our wood deck. The stairs needed to be redone, after the first "restaining" they were different then the rest of the deck. I mentioned painting it the same color as just an option, the house is darling and I know landscaping will definately warm up the area. I like the golden brown color from squirrels pictures the best.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like #8 also, and the lighter #7. The stucco appears quite cool, so I'd stay with a cooler, grayed brown. Of the warm browns, I like #2. : )

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Ok, I need some clarification.

There is wood stain with poly top coat, there is solid or semi-solid wood stain, and then there is paint.

Which are you saying your painter says will be a big maintenance issue?

If your wood garage door is made of stain grade wood, then I agree it would look beautiful stained and poly coated. I have a solid wood front door that faces south and get alot of sun/rain exposure. I need to redo the polyurethane every two years. I don't totally restain the door, just sand and give it another coat or two. If you do not keep up with it, it does become a huge problem - stripping etc.

If you want to do a nice solid stain - like deck stain in a brown, then I'd say you'll get a good 6-7 years before you need to restain. Semi-Transparent stains do fade and I just don't like them on houses - decks they're ok, not on shutters and garage doors. Solid Wood Stain will not peel off of a vertical surface - I have it on my trim.

So, if you don't want the every 2 year maintenance drill on a huge garage door, I'd do the solid wood stain in the medium brown color.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

My mahogany front door, with side lights, lead glass is recessed like yours and upkeep has not been a big problem in the humid south, even with several floods since we have lived here, but I did put a brass kickplate at the bottom since the water will get up to about 2-3 inches, but no higher and that prevented the need to retain or paint frequently. I know that is not trendy but trend be damned, I wanted to preserve the integrity of my beautiful door. I do keep wreaths of lighter colors, including yellow on my front door to draw attention to it since it is a beautiful door, perhaps the only curb appeal my house really has.

{{gwi:230984}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are some others:

#9 Lighter French gray:

#10 A touch of mossy green:
    {{!gwi}}

#11 Darker with some mossy green:

#12 Charcoal

#13 Light taupe brown

#14 Vague touch of red/rose in it:
    {{!gwi}}

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

I like the stain as well. I would think if you put a good poly/varnish on top the stain it would last as good as any paint job. Our front door is 8' mahogany. It has a big over hang, but faces south east and gets quite a bit of the morning /early day sun. We haven't had to restain it, but after a few years did have to reapply the poly. My cabinet maker did the finish and reapplied the poly. I think he used a marine varnish? I thought I had a picture, but I can't find one.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Okay..I posted a long response with pics and now I don't see it. Grrr...hoping this doesn't double post.

Squirrel...love how you're "cutting back" ROFL! I like the darker ones that you've been doing. It adds alot of richness!

try_hard..you are making me relive my build. The garage door was a major sticking point for us. DH really, really wanted a stain grade door but the upgrade budget was totally shot. In hindsight we both really wish we had just spent the extra dollars at the moment and gotten what we wanted. We have the exact same issue with facing South/Southwest. Our builder also thought paint might be a better option but many other houses in our neighborhood went with the stain and it's so pretty! My advice is to check into different stains and poly coats that would keep your maintenance to a mimimum and go with the one you like from your inspiration house! ;c)

Here's ours: The garage was done in the same color as the main body which is Olympia "Eiffel Tower"

And the front door stain color we WISHED we would have done.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow!

I am really overwhelmed at how much effort you folks, particularly SquirrelHeaven, have put into helping me resolve my problem. I am so very appreciative to have your help!

The PhotoShopped pictures are so helpful - DH and I are going to review these tonight and see what we think of the various options. We agree with many of the posters that the garage door is begging to be stained. I did call my painter and we talked about staining options - we are going to meet at the paint store next week to have them mix up some sample stains and see how those would look.

Again, thank you very much!!! And I will definitely update this post (with pictures) after we make a decision.

try_hard

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Tryhard,

I just saw this thread now, but I'm voting to have it stained also. It will look great with whatever option you pick.

Patricia43, are you kidding about not having curb appeal? Your house is beautiful. Every ounce of it has curb appeal. What don't you like? I have stucco here in Florida, and I miss having my brick house up north.

Good luck to Tryhard

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I came back to my work file to look and really liked the one that was sitting there -- has a bit of mossy green in it. So, I staged it a bit more : ) And a closeup of the garage door. Picks up on the warmth in the stone (maybe there's even some of that color in there?), but it isn't too yellow/gold which doesn't sit right.

If you were to paint, I've been thinking a subtley aged glazed finish would be rich and Old World, and not subject as much to looking discolored with weathering.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lindy, your house is so beautiful! I remember it with dark brown shutters, though, for some reason. Fading? lol.

Patricia, I've never seen your house before. It really looks sooo pretty! Lots! of ambience : )

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I really like this grayed brown also. I prefer keeping in tone with the gray you have going on with the stucco body and roof, as they are very cool and the brown in the stone isn't as dominant. A little warm seems to work nicely, but too warm and it looks off, imo.

Not sure what is going on with the overhang over the garage, but I stained it! : )

A sweep of shrubs and a Japanese Pieris b the door, along with some annuals. Iron window box with optional flowers.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Forgot to say THANKS Squirrel. Your memory isn't fading that much. My shutters are kind of a gray/brown in real life. I think the sun really makes them look more gray.

LOVE the last virtual you did! Pretty!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Knew I wanted to do something else! lol. Trying a French gray-blue. Also a mossy type green and a more grayed mossy green. These are all stains. Not for everyone, but they do look good!

French gray-blue:

Warmer:

Mossy green:

Grayer:

• puckhog
    16 years ago

I think the garage door should blend in with the stucco so as not too detract from the other features from the house...the dark colored garage just draws your eye there when it should go towards the front door / center of the house

So far my favorite would be #9, but I would try to find one even closer to the stucco

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Good point about the garage door, PuckHog. Although it is a beautiful door :) Here it is closer to the house body color. Can we do a darker shutter, or maybe a hint of color on them? Seems so to me, as long as it's not dramatic -- although I'm getting a bit confused right now, lol :)

Darker value on shutters:

{{!gwi}}

More in stucco color range on door:

Same on both, but lighter coloring:

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After all the help I received here, I wanted to update you on my exterior garage door/shutter color. We selected what appeared to be a medium-shade brown and it ended up looking alot darker, bolder, and redder than we wanted. But since the house faces south and I live in the midwest, I think it will fade a little. And if not, DH and I can always try to adjust the color in the future. Not what I hoped for, but we'll live with it for a while and see what happens. Again, thank you for all the advice and a big thank you to Squirrelheaven for the photoshop magic!

try_hard

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Ohhhh...I think it came out fabulous! Maybe it's more red in real life but I see a nice medium brown that really looks great on your house.

Are you getting close? I'm sure you're excited. It's going to be so beautiful. I love the style of your house!!

• roguevalley
    15 years ago

I think it looks fabulous. It picks up some of the coppery/rust color variations in the stone. Looks like a story book home! I wish you many happy memories in that home.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Oh, before I read your comments, my 1st reaction was it's perfect. I love it. It's not what every other house looks like, but should.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

I love it! I love that it has some contrast! It doesn't need to fade looks awesome right now ~ great job :)