SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2754028

Shout out to Splatchcock that turkey!

7 years ago

I always wet-brine, but this year I decided to also try splatchcocking. I got 2 13 pounders, removed the backbones, butterflied them (splatchcocking), then brined in Alton Brown's recipe. Then rinsed, dried, dried more in fridge, positioned on a rack over a baking sheet with veggies in the pan, oiled, herbed and roasted. They were done in 70 minutes! They were moist and delicious probably a lot due to brining, but also because the turkey is flattened (the breast isn't so high up, fully exposed to the heat and drying out), and the dark meat isn't protected from the high sides of a roasting pan. The dark and white meat came to the right temperature at the same time rather than the breast drying out while waiting on the safe temp from the dark meat. The turkey was perfect. Also, since the backbones were removed, I was able to use them to make the stock for gravy. Something about the backbones made the absolute best stock for the gravy. It was perfect. I always use bones and giblets to make the stock but I've never used a backbone. Something about that really made a difference. We don't carve at the table, so the whole presentation thing was not a drawback for us. I will be doing it this way forever!

Comments (15)