SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuhouse10

Kitchen color help - Weird, ugly mix.

nuhouse10
7 years ago

We have an old farmhouse. The previous owner added a kitchen in 1980s. Custom cabinets, painted a soft yellowy cream color. He put matching brownish tile on the floor and countertops. Then, added an granite island that is black/gray/reddish color. Topped it all off with a coat of pale green paint. It's hideous (see pics).

The entire thing needs to be gutted (floor slanted) but dog related medical expenses and my husband's return to college puts us in a financial strain. We don't have the time or month to demo the kitchen, so we are trying to find a paint that we can add to the walls instead of the green. We need to somehow bring together the yellow-y cabinets, blackish red granite and yellow-y brown tiles on the floor and counter.

there are two big doorways (one brings in a lot of natural light in afternoon, the other opens into a small, dark dining space with little nature light in afternoon). Morning sun comes through kitchen windows - other than that, artificial light but high ceilings.

I'd like to tone down the yellow overall but I don't know how to do that. Our tv room walls are rockport gray with cameo white walls. Small dining room is cameo white walls with blue trim (philipsburg...odd choice I know, but we liked the look and historic feel. Prob wouldn't do that when we paint again. In the darker room it's not a bright blue)

I'd be willing to do another color like rockport gray on the walls but it might be too dark. The gray in the granite is nice but don't know how to incorporate into the kitchen.

Help me get out of this pastel easter egg before Christmas

Here are some photos (other empty room is not yellow any longer, just primed white. Dining room is no longer teal, that was previous owner. It's cameo white now). You can see the granite island color (reddish black and gray) in the last photo.

!! Please!

Comments (639)