SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaymarie79

Roll out baking cart?

lindsaymarie79
7 years ago

After bring a few different versions of our layout here for constructive advice, I think my husband and I have finally found a layout for us where the scale of the project is within our means, but we don't feel as if we are settling and that this will serve our large family (6 children 12 and under) for the long-term. It involves a little addition onto our porch being made into a "baking alcove" to house the double ovens and a stretch of cabinetry to accommodate baking. We'll have about 42" of open counter space plus the corner beside the ovens that can house the stand mixer and maybe keep large canisters of flour tucked away but easily accessible. I also have plans to make that counter a little deeper (27") and lower than a standard counter.

However, I don't want to keep things like spoons, whisks, spatulas, etc... in there because I use all those things for cooking as well as baking, so I plan on parts of baking spilling into the kitchen proper to the left of the cooktop in the layout below. (For clarity, the peninsula plan below has a Kohler Stages sink).

Since I have 24 more inches between the front of those cabinets and the doorway and then 48 more inches between that corner and the pegboard, I wondered if that would be a good space to use a roll out baking cart for some extra surface during big projects. I thought it could become the rolling, kneading surface so the counter in the alcove was open for cooling racks and pans coming out of the oven. I was thinking of something similar to this so that the drawers were still accessible while in use and it could even be moved to a different location entirely if desirable.

These types of solutions always look so clever in magazines and books or Pinterest, but it all feels very academic since I have never actually known anyone who had something like this in their kitchen. Do you think this would add functionality to our design? Does anyone have such a solution that they really use and love?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Comments (11)