SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn72465

Holiday dilemma-cookie storage...

millymoo zone6B
7 years ago

Hi all.

I have a vacation planned the week before Christmas(return on 18th) where I'll be out of the country.

I have 2 cookie exchanges and many cookie/candy gifts planned for family & friends for the week I get back.

Hope to do all the baking prep the week before I leave & either 1)freeze the cookie dough or 2)bake the cookies, tin them up & store in unheated sunporch.

I like option 2 since it will be easier for me when I return to just distribute already baked cookies into tins, boxes & bags and gift them.

Potential problem: Unheated sunporch. I use this all winter long as my extra fridge/freezer. Problem is December weather may not cooperate with my plans :)

Looking ahead, the projected daytime forecast for that week is expected to be between 0-5C(32-41F) so freezing & above. While I call this a sunporch; there are few windows & it's on the north side of the house. Cookies would be stored out of direct light on the floor-no access to pets or wild animals either.

Do I have to worry about the integrity of cookies(wrapped in parchment, stored in tins going through a freeze/thaw process? Will that alter them badly? Will be butter based cookies.

I have very little room in either of my freezers as they're filled with pre-made appetizers. If I clear out some frozen bananas, I may have room for frozen dough, lol!

Is my plan to keep them in the sunporch a poor one?

Comments (7)