SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindnessgw

Fading Splotchy Towels & Sheets:Is My Detergent and Borax The Problem?

cupofkindnessgw
7 years ago

I have quite a few Pottery Barn towels, in an aqua color and a sand color, that over the past couple of years have undergone a substantial amount of dye loss resulting in splotchy patches all over. Very little fiber loss, but the color loss is glaring and the once-lovely towels are terrible looking. These towels are used by my sons who do not use acne products or moisturizing lotions, and of course they are made to dry clean bodies. Might shaving cream bleach towels? And just recently, I purchased two 100% pima cotton queen sheet sets in a sky blue color, and noticed a mild fading after the first wash in several places (before they even went onto the bed). The most obvious place was a pillow case that developed an obvious periwinkle fade streak. I returned one set to the store for a full refund. The second set does not have any fading that I can see, so I'll keep it for now plus we need sheets for the new queen bed.

Like most of us, I have towels from many places: Target, Lands End, Macys, etc and have never observed a fading issue with any other brands, only the Pottery Barn towels. So here is my question: am I doing something wrong with my detergent and other products? I use liquid Cheer 2-4 table spoons per load, a couple of tablespoons of Borax, and while probably not added to the Pottery Barn towels but *maybe* to the new sheets, White Revive, which a product that I am crazy about but use mainly on white sheets, towels and mens white undershirts. I used to use vinegar in every load, but have decided that I really don't need vinegar and since it is an acid, it is ultimately breaking down fiber. I never, ever use chlorine bleach and I never use fabric softener either. If a load has a lot of smelly clothes, I add a lot of Borax, but our towels really don't smell.

We just purchased a new Speed Queen washer and dryer, and I want to figure out why some of our laundry is fading but not all. Today I bought some Tide Free and Gentle, because maybe good old "Cheer with Color Guard," which is rather inexpensive, is just like cheap shampoo, the potential is there to damage some but not all types of fabric, just like inexpensive shampoo damages some, but not all, types of hair. I thought the Color Guard might prevent this by neutralizing the chlorine in our water, but if so, then what is causing the dye loss? I live in a major urban area and I think our city water supply is excellent.

By the way, this doesn't seem to affect our clothing at all. Or dish towels. Please help me, I don't want to ruin anymore towels or sheets. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations