SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21879251

Boneless Turkey Breast

User
7 years ago

Although I'm not new to Garden Web...I am new to this wonderful cooking forum...and I hope you can give me some feedback on this turkey cooking question.

I live alone so cooking a whole turkey is wasteful for me. I purchased a Butterball boneless turkey breast and checked their website for cooking suggestions. They offered a slow cooker method [not an option for me as I don't own a slow cooker] and a microwave cooking option which I'd like to try.

Butterball directs placing the turkey breast on a shallow microwave tray and cooking at 30% power for 30 minutes on either side. Then removing from oven after cook time...wrapping in aluminum foil and letting it stand for 10 minutes..checking for doneness with a meat thermometer. Yada...yada...yada.

My question! Has anyone ever tried this method...and if so was the end result a moist meat turkey breast? I'm very comfortable with the use of my microwave for this project. I'm just concerned that the end product might be dry meat. Any feedback you can give me will be very appreciated.

Anne

Comments (28)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    7 years ago

Also good roasted in the oven like a traditional Turkey. My MIL swears by the roasted breast and 4 big turkey legs when they had Thanksgiving for just the two of them. FIL loved the legs the best so leftovers for them.

She would buy legs all the time in the fall and freeze a dozen.

I don't use a microwave so no help there.

I might use the directions recommended but cut the time down and finish in the oven for a traditional toasting/roasting. Even better, buy one of each of a few different veggies to toss in olive oil, then roast in the oven for an hour...then place your turkey breast on top and roast for another half hour.

Meaning, one of each: sweet potato, reg potato cut and cubed, beet cubed, parsnip, carrot sliced, whole small brussel sprouts, just a few, etc.

User thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • Related Discussions

Just brined a turkey for the first time

Q

Comments (9)
    Tammy, I'm glad your cinnamon rolls and dinner came out so well, it sounds delicious. I really like turkey but seldom cook even a turkey breast for just me. You know, I ought to try brining a duck, I haven't done that yet... I make my own yogurt so there's always some in the fridge and I often add it to baking recipes, it adds a nice flavor and moisture, so I agree, you had a very good idea. Something about today, we're talking about cinnamon rolls everywhere here! Annie
    ...See More

Deli meats vs meats cooked/smoked at home

Q

Comments (9)
    Lars, your home cooked meats are much healthier than "deli meats". I consider deli meats, both smoked and non-smoked to be processed, with flavor enhancers and preservatives. Even the highest quality deli meats are chunks of meat that are tumbled and pressed (with a binder) together, to form the hunks you see in the deli case. The highest quality deli meats have the largest amount of whole muscle. The low end deli meats will have small pieces of meat. I have seen some higher end deli meats recently that advertise "no nitrates". It really doesn't matter if the meat is smoked or not, again, quality is the guide. You could lower the fat content of your home cooked smoked turkey or chicken by removing the skin before cooking or grilling. Watch the labels even on the turkey breast for additives. I think it's worth paying a little more to seek out poultry that has no additives. Nancy
    ...See More

Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts

Q

Comments (10)
    I don't usually check for BSCB because I prefer ones with bones and skin, and the last of those we bought were $1.49 a pound. I put them in the smoker on Sunday with a boneless turkey breast and some spicy Italian sausage so that I could make quick meals with them this week. I'm afraid boneless skinless chicken breasts would dry up in the smoker, but the ones I cooked on Sunday came out very moist and with a great flavor. I use them in pasta salad that I make with a lot of pickled Italian vegetables plus an olive salad (in a jar) that is supposed to be used to make muffaletta. The dishes that I made with BSCB are actually a lot more work than the other chicken dishes I make, which is another reason I do not buy them often. Lars
    ...See More

How to cook a rolled turkey breast in stovetop pressure cooker

Q

Comments (3)
    A possible clue: From my 1975 Presto Instruction Book Page 41 bottom of page: Hunters Turkey 2-3 Lb Turkey serving pieces. Heat cooker and brown the turkey. Cook 15 minutes with regulator rocking slowly. Let pressure drop of it's own accord. Your roast can't be too far diffrunt.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you sooo much for your input, Olychick. I, already, feel much better about this project. :-) If you've had that result with beef...which can so easily turn to shoe leather...I'm encouraged that the turkey will come out moist. And...yes...I will, most assuredly, report back about the outcome. I'm actually kind of excited about this whole process. I use my microwave for all manner of cooking because it's quick, clean and energy saving. It will be delightful if this turkey project is successful.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The oven roasting was an option if I didn't get some encouragement about the microwave, Sleevendog. But the breast is on the small side and it seemed like a lot of energy usage for such a small project. Plus...I was equally worried about it staying moist if I oven roasted it. Although...I agree wholeheartedly about adding the vegs to the pan. I'm a big fan of that roasting method. The veggies always add so much flavor to the taste...as well as the juices for gravy.

I haven't thawed it yet so I haven't the slightest idea what it looks like...LOL..as in is it covered with skin or not. Apparently...from the description on the package....it's in its own string type of netting that's to be left on through cooking. That leads me to think that it might be skinless with the meat itself rolled and snug in its own bag type container. We shall see! And I'll report back. Who knew this could be such an exciting project. :-)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You can't cook with those recommendations.

30% of power is meaningless. Microwave can be from 500 watts to 1200 watts.

It also depends on how big and how cold the meat. is.

Just cook and measure with a thermometer.

dcarch

User thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

I cooked a chicken once in the microwave and never ever would do so again!. Put that turkey breast in the oven. it won't take long as it's not like a whole turkey and you will be much more satisfied with the results!
    Put that turkey breast in a small roasting pan, nestle some short stalks of celery and some onion chucks and carrot chunks around it, rub the skin with olive oil and roast at 325 for about 17 minutes per pound. A 5 pound turkey breast will take about ah hour and a half. Check the temp with an instant read....should be about 160 when you remove from the oven, then tent with foil and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Will be a lot nicer than one cooked in the microwave....really ti will!

User thanked lindac92
  • Islay Corbel
    7 years ago

I would wrap it in bacon. Place an onion in a roasting dish, place the turkey on top. Pour in some chicken stock so that it will create some steam. Cover WELL with foil and roast gently in the oven. Cook at 350°F for an hour and let it rest while you finish your veggies etc.

User thanked Islay Corbel
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

dcarch...The boned breast is a little less than 3# and that's why I'm considering Butterballs microwave cooking instructions. If I do elect to use that method...I will, most assuredly, have my thermometer handy. I'm a relatively "seasoned" cook and have cooked chicken parts in my microwave with great success. Just never tried a boneless turkey breast and thought I'd come asking for input. Thank you for your contribution.

Linda...it's really too small for my great oven. It would be a terrible waste of energy. Not to fear though. I still haven't made up my mind about it's cooking method. I do have a Breville toaster oven. In the event I chicken out with the microwave...I might give that some consideration.

Islay...Thank you for a yummy sounding recipe. If I don't use it this time...you can be sure that I'll save it for a time when the meat is larger in size.

Y'all have been so kind to respond to my query. Thank you. I shall report back with both the method and the success [or lack thereof] of the eventual cooked product. May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I woke to snow on the ground this morning...so Mother Nature is doing her part to make the atmosphere seasonal.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    7 years ago

We are also covered in snow. Very pretty.

The Breville would be a fine way to roast it. Or finish the final 1/2 hour 45 of cooking if it has the skin on.

Have a lovely holiday! So looking forward to a few days off at home. Our favorite holiday.

User thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

Anne, I hear you, about not wanting to use the energy by using the large oven for such a small item. I'm the same way. We bought a smaller oven last year, and we use it so much more than the big oven. It's actually the Wolfgang Puck pressure oven. Even when I don't use the pressure, we use it as a regular oven. I make bread, meats, scalloped potatoes, popovers, etc etc in it. I actually used the big oven yesterday for the first time in several months when I made cookies.

One thing to think of, if you decide to use your big oven, for instance, using the breast on top of vegetables, don't forget to throw some other things in the oven as well, so that you're not using it just to cook a single breast. Baked potatoes, scalloped potatoes, something to re-heat later in the week, etc.

I was given a boneless turkey breast a few months ago and made it for our Canadian Thanksgiving in October. I marinated it then cooked it in a cast iron skillet in the Puckie oven. It was great, and will do it that way again.

But I wouldn't hesitate using the microwave, since you feel comfortable doing so. As mentioned, cooking it on low power wouldn't dry it out.

I seldom use my microwave on high, I always re-heat on a lower power.

User thanked Jasdip
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

If you feel your turkey is too small to cook in your great oven...(can't imagine an oven that large...what kind of stove do you have?) cook something else as well. Like a potato or a small pan of root vegetables to roast.
    But unless your oven is fueled with organic, hand sawed birch twigs, I will bet that the energy used to heat your oven is no more than the difference in cost between a boneless turkey breast and one with the bone in. Why spend good money on food and pinch a penny on the energy used to heat the oven to cook it? It will be much better, more moist, browned and less loss of moisture in the oven than the microwave.
    But then perhaps your standard for "good" is not like mine. Do you know how many watts your microwave is? My current one is 1500, the one before was 1200 and the difference in heating times is huge. Until I got used to it, melted butter turned into a sizzling browned mess and scalded milk boiled over.

User thanked lindac92
  • anoriginal
    7 years ago

Personally wouldn't COOK the turkey breast in microwave. Goes back to a really BAD experience when I tried to cook corned beef in microwave. Sure, it was cooked through in no time but was like a bowling ball. It was so far from tender, but resorted to method I knew worked and wasn't a total fail.

I don't cook whole T-day meal but want the "left-overs". I might consider butterflying each half and putting stuffing inside... skewers or tooth-picks to close things up. If it has skin on, would just roast to get nice brown stuff in pan for a little gravy.

When I was a kid, T-day and Christmas often rotated among grandparents, Dad and his sibs. One year, when it was his turn, he made what would now be called a "deconstructed" turkey. He preferred white meat and did NOT want to bother with a carcass afterward. We made stuffing usual way, but put it into a big call in foil... open on top. He had 2 whole breasts (bone-in) and we just set them over each ball of stuffing and roasted as usual.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

I vote for the oven. It is only one day and you can cook other things also. It will also help heat the house if it is cold where you are. A turkey breast won't take long. Be sure to use a thermometer and take out at 165*. Let rest and it will be perfect. I love my microwave and couldn't live without it, but I don't like cooking meat in it. By the way you might want to think about a Crock Pot. I have a new one, my old one died, I will find a link and attach. It is not too big for one or two people. I like this one because it is simple. No programming, but it has a warm. The only thing about this is that you can't put the lid in a sink of water.

http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-4-5-qt-manual-slow-cooker-scr450/-/A-16799396

User thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Anne
    7 years ago

Many, and I mean many years ago my oven died. My stepfather cut the turkey up and microwaved it. I would not recommend it at all. Even though he saved our dinner.......not so good. Of course it was half cooked and a whole turkey.

User thanked Anne
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK...OK...LOL...I give up!

Jas...I took a closer look at the interior measurements of my Breville and I think the breast is too bulky to fit comfortably. But...I won't know until it's thawed and I can take a better look at it. My Breville is the Mini Smart Oven and although it's a wonderful piece of equipment...sadly...I don't think it can perform up to snuff for this particular project. I knew I shouldn't have been so economical when I decided to buy a toaster oven. I should have bought the larger model. - I don't use my microwave on high either. I've been a microwave user almost since they arrived on the kitchen scene...so I'm undaunted from that point of view. However...this particular project is beginning to challenge my bravery. For the past several years since I entered the world of widowhood...I've ignored holiday cooking. But...this year...I decided to give it a try. I love turkey sandwiches and turkey soup. If I don't cook a turkey...there won't be any of those. LOL

Linda...you're priceless!!! LOL Reading you post gave me a wonderful attack of the giggles. ["hand sawed birch twigs"...LOL] Actually, it's a Whirlpool, glass top regular kitchen stove. It's oven just looks enormous when I look at the turkey breast as its occupant. But I just baked a loaf of pumpkin nut bread in it...so, obviously, the breast wouldn't be that much less in size. - The microwave is a 1000-W Cuisinart, model CMW-100. Being a lone diner...it gets a lot of use...and recipe experimentation. :-) But...I think your standard of "good" and mine are probably just the same. I definitely don't want to sacrifice this turkey breast for the sake of what may not turn out to be a convenient cooking method.

Sherry...I'm beginning to think y'all are right. The oven it is! I've never owned a crock pot. I haven't the slightest idea why not...but, obviously, it's something I should look into. I make soups/stews [from scratch] all winter long so there's definitely a good reason to invest in one. I've always been fortunate to have the type of flat bottom cookware that duplicates the crock pot output. I'm an avid "chef" so not having a crock pot is not from any probable lack of use. However...once the holiday mad rush of shopping is over with...I shall look into purchasing one. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Anne...LOL you put the hat on my decision to use my regular oven. I'm an artist and when I read material...I "see" it in my mind. It's not just words. It comes with moving pictures. LOL It's difficult to describe in words but suffice to say that I have a perfect picture of your long ago Thanksgiving at the hands of your inventive Stepfather. Our microwaves of today are probably better suited for such projects...but I'm beginning to agree that now's not the time to test that theory. At least not if I want turkey for Thanksgiving.

Again...thank you one and all. Not only did you help me make up my mind. You added some delightful cheer to my day. That's priceless!!!!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    7 years ago

"---The microwave is a 1000-W Cuisinart, model CMW-100. ---"

Even that specification is not completely informative. Typically, a microwave cooks much less than the rated power used. A 1000 watt MW actually cooks possibly around 600-700 watts. The other remaining power is used for the fan, the light, the turntable and operating electronics.

So if someone tells you his/hers MW is exactly as yours, 1000 watts, it may not have the same cooking power.

dcarch

User thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

dcarch...The MW specs are listed as Input Power = 1450W with Output power at 1000W...Rated voltage at 120V - 60 Hz. Aside from contemplating cooking the turkey breast in it...I've never had a cooking failure from it. And...that includes using it to cook fresh fish...which always comes out moist and flaky. It's a very accurate oven used according to directions...even for my own recipe experimentation. I've had great results cooking chicken parts [breasts, etc] but have never used it to cook beef or other red meat. Probably because I'm not a big red meat eater and when I do eat it, I prefer the searing on a hot surface to enhance its flavor. I have, however, this time around and after this discussion, elected to use my regular oven for the turkey breast...just to ensure that I actually have a meal on Thanksgiving day. :-) Though I should mention that Cuisinart actually offers a recipe for cooking a whole turkey in this oven. But no suggestions for a solidly wrapped turkey breast. Maybe I'll experiment next time.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Good for you!! You will be happier with the resultant sandwiches.
    I also am a widow but have been for quite a few years, but always manage to go to one of my children's for holidays or find other singles to share with. I will be going to my daughter's this year, but a group of single friends are getting together and cooking up a feast, makes me wish I could be 2 places at once!

I, too, don't own a regular crock pot, but I do have a couple of cordless ones, made by Le Cruset in a red and a yellow. They fit over a burner of my stove or will even go into a regular oven!....and all parts are submersable in water, and there is no cord to worry about!
    Enjoy your turkey!

User thanked lindac92
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your well wishes, Linda. I've decided that widowhood is definitely not for the faint of heart. I've been a member of the club for ten plus years and although I'm a strong and stubborn ole Yankee who tolerates living alone perhaps better than most...there are times when it's more challenging than I would wish. I have no children of my own and the very few relatives that remain are too far away to be part of my active life. My neighbors are a self-absorbed lot not open to sharing much of anything with their own let alone with a single old lady. I learned very early on that married couples of almost any age bracket in this area do not want to socialize with single women...no matter what their age. They're really rather a strange collection and one of these days before I take my final trip...I plan to write about this entire experience. I've lived all over the world and I've never seen a population such as this. I don't know if they're a sign of the times or just a local oddity. Unfortunately...I don't have the option of moving so I just meander through daily life enjoying it through my eyes...giving and helping where I can...and ignoring the lesser attractive parts. It seems to be working!

I would love to have some Le Cruset pieces but with the glass top stove...and my own slowly failing eyesight...it's probably safer that I don't. It's beautiful cookware. :-) When I bought this stove I bought a new edition of flat bottomed cookware from Cuisinart that has turned out to be a wonderful asset. It conducts heat very easily and evenly...and performs miraculous fetes over very low temperatures. I think its performance is probably why I've never invested in a crock pot. But once the holidays have passed and shopping becomes less of a physical challenge...I plan to take a look at what's available just to satisfy my need-to-know.

Happy Thanksgiving, Linda...and once again...thank you for your help.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

Anne, You might want to look into one of the Food Savers. Yes, the bags are a little expensive, but they really work. I would of never bought one, but my son gave it to me. There are still two of us, but sometimes I might as well be cooking for one. He doesn't like most of the stuff I do. I can still make it and freeze and it is as good as fresh made. If I cook a turkey, ham, or roast. We eat once and then I portion it into single meals, seal, then freeze. Since there is no air in the bag they do not get freezer burn and taste fresh when heated in the microwave. We just had ham tonight that I added some mixed vegtables to. I only have to cook once and I have meals for a long time without eating the same thing over and over. A trick I learned is if you are freezing something like a soup or chili, is to put into the bag and put into the freezer and let it freeze hard, then seal. If you are careful, you can stand them up with the top open. If you fold the top down before filling, it will stay clean and then fold up and seal.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

User thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Instead of the oven couldnt you use a dutch oven and cook on low on the stovetop?

User thanked bossyvossy
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sherry...your suggestion is very timely. You've been looking over my shoulder. :-) I was watching Cook's Country Saturday afternoon and they were doing a "bit" on food savers. You're right. They are a tad pricey...and considering I just had to install a new hot water heater...anything over a dollar beyond the necessities of my daily living is not in my budget for a while. :-) But...I was intrigued and as soon as I have more than a couple of nickels to rub together...I'll be investigating that tool. Currently, I use small plastic cup like containers...in various sizes ranging from a cup up to three cups...that I stack in the freezer. I freeze everything!!! Nothing ever goes to waste in my kitchen. I do exactly what you do. Cook once and freeze the excess. The advantage of the food saver system is that the bags would take up less freezer space than my current storage containers and that would be a big plus. Actually...I wish I had a place to put a full sized freezer but alas, condo/town house living isn't always conducive to extra appliances.

Thank you for your Thanksgiving good wishes. Please accept mine in return.

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Rats! I just typed a reply to you, Bossy...and it took a trip to never-never land. Sigh. The essence of it was that I think I could probably cook it with a Dutch oven but having never prepared a boned turkey breast before...I'd rather use an established recipe this time around. Once I've produced an edible product...I'll have enough knowledge and self-confidence to try all manner of cooking/roasting methods. But fear not. Your suggestion will not be lost or ignored.

Who knew a boned turkey breast could be so intimidating. LOL I've been cooking all my life and never felt this kind a trepidation. LOL

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Bossy...and thank you for your suggestion.

• cynic
    7 years ago

Hi anne_ct, good to see you around! I imagine it's a little late but I'll throw in my unsolicited 2¢ worth. I personally wouldn't microwave it, but you're braver than am I. My suggestion would be to microwave half of it to try it out. If you like it, do the other one, if not, bake/roast it. Get yourself a 6qt Nesco and you'll love the way that turkey breast cooks. And you'll have a far more functional appliance than the slow cooker and toaster oven combined. Spring for the Roast-Air (not much more and still probably less than most slow cookers) and you'll have a convection oven. Another possibility is get a tabletop convection oven. I have one similar to the NuWave you see advertised. Mine is a big bowl and the heater sits on top. I use that a lot these days since the convection works a little faster than the roaster but I could use the Roast-Air and it'd be just as good. The microwave has become my friend too these last few years but there's just something about a real OVEN that makes things better. Also, for a vacuum sealer, check out the Pump-n-Seal. They're about $30, give a higher vacuum pressure than most of the other consumer units, will work with canning jars without special and extra cost attachments and you can use regular canning lids and reuse them. You poke a hole in the top and put a little thing on it that looks like a mini band-aid. That's how it sucks the pressure out and they work great. About the size of a tube out of a large roll of foil, fits in most any drawer and requires no electricity. If you don't like it or don't use it, you're not out much in money or space. One other option for the single person, don't overlook an electric frypan. You can bake in them, cook pasta, fry, and more. Easy cleanup, fast heatup. Something to consider.

Don't be a stranger!

User thanked cynic
  • ruthanna_gw
    7 years ago

I would cut it in half and try microwaving half of it. Sometimes experimentation is the only way to add to our cooking body of knowledge. If the result is good, you can do the other half the same way. If not, you could make the other half in the oven. I have had good results cooking fish in the microwave on reduced power.

User thanked ruthanna_gw
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh Cynic...you're such a gem. :-) Thank you. What a wonderful forum this is. The recommendations are endless and most valuable. I'm creating a long list and as soon as all the frantic shoppers have exhausted themselves...I shall do some peaceful window shopping. I've managed to do without many of these appliances over my cooking lifetime...but, despite my Yankee frugality...I think it's time to make some informed purchases. I've been carrying around a note to buy a new steel for months. It always falls to the bottom of my bag and is forgotten. Creating a new and longer list will assure that it gets better attention. And...that ought to get me into some real trouble. LOL

The turkey breast will be going into the "great" oven in a few hours. What a marvelous invention this turkey breast is. If I relied on the directions provided...this creation would darn near prepare itself without any assistance from me. I'm still curious about cooking it in the microwave...but will save that for a later time. I need to taste and discover the texture of this creature. Once I have that personal knowledge...I'll know whether to try the microwave.

Thank you all. You have no idea how appreciative I am for all your contributions. And it's especially nice to see an old friend.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Jasdip
    7 years ago

Anne, Cynic has been called many things I'm sure, but I'm not sure "gem" is one of them! J/K!! I adore Cynic!

User thanked Jasdip
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL I'm a member of the "adore" club, too. He's rescued me from a case of the doldrums on many an occasion. An absolutely invaluable service IMO.