SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmaine

tung oiled wood floors, will they stain easily?

portlandmaine
7 years ago

Hi,

Appreciate any advice on this! We are in the midst of installing wide board pine in our upstairs bedroom space. Currently, the boards have been acclimatizing the last 4 months, and during that time I tung oiled them with 3 coats. They look fabulous. Once they are installed, I intend to lightly sand them where needed and rebuff again with tung oil. We do plan to put in architectural nails once all said and done. The question is, once the last coat of tung oil sets, should I add a coat of poly? I have already done some poly testing to make sure it adheres to the boards fine, and it does, but I really prefer the tung oil look. My fear is that the tung oil will not prevent staining. I really hate the way a poly floor looks when it is scratched, and the only way to fix that is to refinish the floors. I'm hoping that with an oiled floor, we can just occasionally reoil and buff and the scratches will just build some character. But I know poly will prevent any stains. What about waxing over oil? Could this be an alternative to poly? With easier long term maintenance?

Comments (8)