SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Are You Right Handed or Left Handed?

Most in my family including me are right handed. My Dad was left handed, but did not write like most people who are left handed do. My oldest Granddaughter is left handed. I think my son in law is both! My husband after his second stroke had to learn to eat with his left hand as his right hand swelled so badly for some reason and after that he can barely use it. He has a difficult time with his left hand also. So, what are you?

Sue

Comments (32)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am right hand/left eye dominant, but like rob333, I have a left-handed parent (father), and so I learned to use both hands. My father built the house in which I grew up, and designed everything for his own convenience, lol. When I breast-fed my babies, I would do crossword puzzles, and would switch sides with the baby. Left hand is legible but writing is better with my right hand. I don't consider myself to be ambidextrous.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Related Discussions

Left handed folks unite....

Q

Comments (30)
    Sinistre? Well, en francais, we are gauche!! Indeed. In school I had no troubles, but I do remember in Sunday School, I apparently had someone try to change me over. No one did that to Madge's daughter, and they were quickly put 'right'. Speaking of which, we are the only ones in our 'right' minds, don't you know. I have left handed scissors which I love. I mouse right-handed, because I had such bad carpal tunnel in my left hand; even after it was fixed I still mouse right-handed, I guess till I get the right hand fixed. And don't start me on manual can-openers. I would starve if left to them. I had to leave my beloved B&D spacesaver in the move, and could not find another right away, so purchased a 'Gizmo'....Holy Cow. Just don't go there, OK. It will be in my first yard sale at a greatly reduced price, barely used. Thanks for letting me rant! Nancy.
    ...See More

Did you notice the "houzz" up in the left hand corner?

Q

Comments (7)
    Well, Christmas is over... Though it would have been cute if they'd had one for today with pine needles, scraps of wrapping paper, half eaten cookies and a broken red bauble. :)
    ...See More

Are you left handed?

Q

Comments (1)
    Nope but I have a left-handed cousin. I'll see if any one on houzz is a left-handed gardener. Link of discussion: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6022620/any-left-handed-gardeners-on-houzz-another-user-needs-help#n=0
    ...See More

Is there such a thing as a right or left handed kitchen?

Q

Comments (25)
    @tozmo1 I am a rightie raised by TWO lefties! My older brother is a leftie also. The only things I remember having a problem with were the iron and the potato peeler. The peeler blade was dull on the side I needed to use as a rightie. Iron was always a pain for me so I used that as an excuse to make my mother iron for me. 🙂 One thing I never realized or thought about are can openers. We always had an electric can opener because the manual ones are not designed for lefties. When I married and had my own house, my mother complained when she came to babysit that she was unable to open the tuna can I left out for her to make lunch. I don't have an electric can opener and never even thought about it! In terms of kitchen layout, I can work in either direction - makes no difference to me which side the dishwasher is one, etc. BTW, my husband and I are both right handed, but two of my four kids are lefties! They learned from a young age how to use my can opener. They actually use both hands depending on the activity (my son plays golf right handed but throws/bats as a lefty).
    ...See More
  • caseynfld
    7 years ago

Right handed with 2 right handed parents. I have been told that I write like a left handed person even though I write with my right hand, whatever that means. I've had teachers tell me that.

Of the 6 kids in my family only one is left handed. She was always artistic, so maybe it's true that left handed people are more artistic. I think my youngest brother should have been left handed but when he was small my father used to switch things to his right hand if he picked things up with his left hand. Crazy!! He's a bit artistic too.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked caseynfld
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

I consider myself left handed but will do a great many things with either hand very comfortably. I taught myself to have very nice handwriting by ignoring my teachers' constant adjusting my paper in the wrong (right handed) orientation.

Left handed people hook their arm and hand in order to accommodate paper that is turned the wrong way for them. When slanted in the proper direction, we can hold our hand in the typical manner and have neat, attractive handwriting.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

I'm left hand dominant but I can use both hands for almost everything.

I write with both hands, play pool, golf, shoot guns with both hands. The only thing I've never been able to do with my right hand is use a knife. I always have to use my left hand.

Rhizo- my 3rd grade teacher, when we were learning to write in cursive would instruct all the students to angle their papers this way, "except for you TG, angle yours the other way". I was always embarrassed being "called out" but as an adult I notice the weird hand hook thing other lefties do and it seems so bizarre to me because I was taught to write correctly.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Texas_Gem
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Right handed, but I consider myself almost ambidextrous. I am left-eye dominant and shoot left handed. I have always been able to write legibly left handed (not as much now as when younger). I can write mirror image with both hands at the same time (bar trick I guess).

DD is a lefty and she got the gene mostly from her Dad's side of the family where there a lot of them. There was never any doubt from the time she learned to pick up a spoon, but her early teachers encouraged me to have her switch. I refused. This was around 1976-77. She never had a problem except for the workbooks with spirals or humps in the center.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

Right handed, right eye dominant, and not at all ambidextrous, unfortunately.

Ultrasound exposure in the uterus increases the likelihood of left-handedness in males (prenatal ultrasound affects the baby's brain), so at some point we'll probably see an increased in left-handed men.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Alisande
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

Right-handed/left-eye dominant. My left hand is totally useless for all intents and purposes, except I drink my coffee and wine with it so I guess it is actually vitally important.

My dad was left-handed and out of 6 kids only one is left-handed. Two of her children are left-handed. The one who is right-handed has a left-handed daughter.

One of my sisters who is right-handed as is her husband, have 2 out of 3 children who are left-handed so it is in the genes.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blfenton
  • sjerin
    7 years ago

I'm a lefty, dh a righty, two of our kids lefties as well. I'm a little surprised to see so many lefties and "ambis" heres. Both of my parents were left-handed but forced to use their right hands; Mom still eats with her right hand. My dad showed us how he could write with both hands simultaneously, and the writing looked the same. Dd3 (a leftie) easily writes in mirror image--I'm not sure what kind of a trait this is.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • DawnInCal
    7 years ago

Left handed although there are things I do right handed as well. Left handed people learn to adapt to a right handed world. There are things that can be awkward to use with the left hand such as ladles and ice cream scoops. Binders are always a problem when writing because we have to position our hands over the rings. Hubby once bought me a pair of left handed scissors and I had dickens of a time using them because I was used to making do with right handed scissors.

I also always start out walking with my left foot.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Wow, Texas...you are fortunate to have had a teacher that was informed! I grew up in an era where I was lucky that my primary school teachers didn't punish me for using my left hand! As a matter of fact, my kindergarten teacher did......ooh, the stories I could tell you about that woman, lol.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

"Ultrasound exposure in the uterus increases the likelihood of
    left-handedness in males (prenatal ultrasound affects the baby's brain),
    so at some point we'll probably see an increased in left-handed men."

Is this a generally acknowledged and accepted risk? Results replicated in enough studies to be valid?

(I'm right handed and wasn't subject to fetal ultrasound. Is that why?)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

There is agreement with Alisande in the literature, elmer

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I believe you have ready access to PubMed and the underlying papers. Here's a comment from Wikipedia, a source I usually accept but with caution:

"Research on this topic suggests there may exist a weak association between ultrasound screening (sonography used to check on the healthy development of the fetus and mother during pregnancy) and non-right-handedness"

The comment suggests something much less than a full cause and effect assessment in saying "there MAY exist a WEAK association".

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Everyone has access to PubMed. There is an association, which is what I said.

ETA: it's a spectrum. Association need not be complete and utter in every instance for it to have meaning. No one stopped halfway through.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

I wandered off to check it out after reading about the ultrasounds up-thread. Since later posts began questioned it, and the tab was still up, the one I read is HERE. It concluded "...a weak statistically significant association".

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gyr_falcon
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

rob, you sometimes read things staccato fashion and in black and white.

I know everyone has access to PubMed, I have several family members whose work can be found on it. You'll note I said "and the underlying papers". Nothing more dangerous than amateurs reading abstracts in unfamiliar fields.

I said I believe you have access to papers, many are NOT available to the general public. Don't stop halfway through sentences.

• pekemom
    7 years ago

Right handed, also husband and 3 children, grandchildren too. My mother was right handed and my father before he hurt his arm as a child and learned to write left handed too. After his arm healed he stayed ambidextrous.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked pekemom
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

A little of both. Before I was four years old, I had two very bad injuries to my right hand. A gunshot from a .38 and a third degree burn. So I learned to do everything with my left hand. I started school when I was almost 7 and learned to write with my right hand. I use scissors with either hand but prefer my left. My left hand is still dominant but I am sure I was born to be right handed.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • Lindsey_CA
    7 years ago

I'm right handed, as were my parents and deceased brother. My two sisters are still living -- one is right handed, the other is left handed. My left-handed sister is the artistic one in the family.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lindsey_CA
  • ldstarr
    7 years ago

Officially, I'm left handed. Mostly, I'm ambi though, as I tend to use either hand for all tasks.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ldstarr
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

My mom was left-handed; the only one in her family. She could do very little with her right hand.

Both my brother and I are right-handed.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jasdip
  • Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

Rhizo- I'm sure it helped that it was the late 80s, early 90s when I was in elementary school too.

My mom had one brother who was left handed and the teachers tried to train it out of him back in the 50s/60s.

My whole family, both mom and dad's side are right handed aside from that one uncle.

Hubby is right handed, 2 of our kids are lefties and 2 are righties so at least it is now easy when we go out to eat.

Any other lefties here remember the seat shuffle at crowded tables so we wouldn't bump elbows while eating? I was always placed in the corner.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Texas_Gem
  • User
    7 years ago

I use both hands equally well but most of my writing these days is done with my right hand...perhaps due to the AMD in my left eye...unless something interferes with the completion of my daily crossword puzzle while using my right hand. Then I'll complete it with my left hand.

My father was a lefty and like you Rhizo...according to him, he was regularly punished for it during his lower school years. So much so that he resigned himself to using his right hand and never wrote with his left hand again. His penmanship was completely illegible and remained so until the day he died. Thankfully...for the reading public and me...all of his written communications were typewritten.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

I'm left handed and one of my four sisters is left handed. I write left handed but hold my pen and write like a right handed person. I put make up on with both hands (right hand for right side, left hand for left side) use right handed scissors and am ambi for many things but I believe my sister is not ambi at all. My grandmother taught me to crochet with my left hand, but I eventually switched to righty as it was more comfortable.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • kathleen44
    7 years ago

I am a leftie but living in a rightie world I found that you use your right hand for tons of things then. Like tonight playing table shuffleboard and found myself more comfortable with right hand using it then left hand. I saw my dad eats is it the english way of switching hands in cutting and then eating.

when a nanny, I held kids in left hand, stronger it was and then right had to do whatever it was needing doing with right hand.

I also found that door knobs you don't turn your hand backwards which lefties must do with the old round door knobs that turned and so used right hand to unlock door and turn the knob to open it up.

I would use my right hand to do trunk to open it up and also pull it back down.

I use right hand for alot of things that are more comfortable using that hand.

I used to notice how lefties would have their hand curled up when writing and couldn't figure that out as I write like righties do and I did have beautiful handwriting.

When I broke my wrist in two places I found that I was no good in eating with right hand at all. I did struggle to do cross words with right hand and write a bit with right hand.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked kathleen44
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I'm right handed. So were my parents. My brother is left handed. Both kids are right handed but DS is probably more ambidextrous. He also has dysgraphia. It wasn't recognized back in the 1940's but looking at it now I think my left handed brother is probably somewhat dyslexic.

Grand daughter is right handed. 2 year old grandson is more ambi but leaning toward right handedness.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked wildchild2x2
  • workoutlady
    7 years ago

We are all right handed in our family. My daughter's husband is left handed. My granddaughter is 3. I'm still not sure what she is. She keeps switching back and forth but she seems to write with her right hand but I've noticed she uses scissors with her left hand. I noticed she switched her scissors to her right hand and she couldn't cut with that hand. I think she's still trying to figure out which hand to use. I would have thought by the age of 3, it would have been clear which hand was dominate. It appears this isn't the case with her. I guess time will tell Daughter is a teacher and she doesn't want to push her one way or the other.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked workoutlady
  • chisue
    7 years ago

I'm right-handed. DH is naturally left-handed but was compelled to use his right hand to eat, to write, to play tennis and golf. He bats left and kicks a ball left. (His handwriting is illegible, even to him! As with Anne's DF, thank goodness for typewriters.)

It was 'socially unacceptable' to use your left hand when DH was a child. The only other time I've come across that was in a movie set in India, where locals gagged to see someone use his left hand to scoop up nuts from a dish. (One's left had was used for toilet, according to the plot.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chisue
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Mostly right handed but do some things better with left

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bossyvossy
  • cat_ky
    7 years ago

Texas Gem, I recall the seat shuffle. In fact, it is still going on in my family, although my parents have been gone a long time. I am right handed, but, most of my family, are left handed, so I am in the minority

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked cat_ky
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

I am right handed, but am comfortable with either hand for using tools. The main difference is my right hand is stronger than my left. My Dad was right handed and wrote right handed, but wonder if he was born a lefty because he threw a ball with his left.

I went to school with a pair of twin boys; one was a lefty and the other a righty.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jemdandy
Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County