SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Left handed folks unite....

User
16 years ago

So here I am stepping forth with my declaration of .......left handedness! I didn't walk until I was almost 2 as my family kept putting my spoon in my right hand and trying to make me right handed. This was in the 50's and it was considered wrong to be left handed. Of course it didn't work and I did learn to walk and as many of you know also to run and run and run LOL.

It was very difficult in school as the desks were "backwards" and the notebooks were too ! I learned to write back hand to try and compensate.I was never chosen for softball even though I should have been the 1st baseman LOL. I always felt awkward and different. I also tried tennis on a long ago summer but gave up when I had to use backhand all the time. Same with raquet ball. I was very good at volleyball and that was a relief, finally a sport I could play. My greatest joy , though, came when I discovered my own sport of running. Alone with no one to correct my step or my technique I discovered I had a facility for this. Biking eventually was the same way and my right handed abilities were good enough that the shifters were not a problem.

In our kitchen we have several tools that are for lefties. It is always funny to watch others pick them up and then shake their head as they discover that they are indeed different.

The Italians call it "sinistre" meaning sinister or evil. In the Indian culture children are always right handed as the left hand is for cleaning oneself.We were at a new friend's home many years ago to eat curries and exchange ideas. The couple is from India. My DH and I are both left handed. The couple's eyebrows rose up as we began eating. It was interesting to talk to them about this.

I find that over the years I have acquired the ability to use my right hand for some tasks. Opening the door, using the "mouse", certain nursing tasks when I still worked. All 3 of our children are predominantly right handed but can use their left hands very well so perhaps they are ambidextrous.

In my family as well as in my DH's family we were the only ones that anyone ever remembered being left handed. If you would like to share your story of being left handed please do.

Comments (30)

Sponsored