SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie05

Need Advice Please on how to handle a pool build issue

susie05
7 years ago

We are in the process of having an islander vinyl pool installed (18" are above ground). From the beginning, I have been concerned about the pool depth across the pool. It is a 14 x 32 rectangle, 4' to 7' deep pool. I asked the PB to send me a cross-section of the pool, showing how long each section of depth is. The plan he sent me was divided like this: 30" for the steps, 11' long at 4' deep, and a 9' slope down to a 4' long at 7' deep. (I hope that makes sense!) Excavation is completed and they graded the pool. The problem is, the measurements I was sent are not what the pool was graded at. What the pool is graded at is: 30" steps, 9' at 4' depth, 11' slope and 5' at the 7' deep end.

It's the 2' we're losing in the shallow end that I'm concerned about. As it looks, the pool is mostly slope and deep end, and although I know my young children will grow, I was very specific in that I wanted adequate shallow space to just play around in without having to be swimming.

I called the PB and asked why they sent me different measurements than they sent to the City to be approved. They said that the City required 2 main drains that they had to extend the deep end for. The PB told me about those drains a few weeks ago, and that it was going to cost more, but they never said anything about it changing how wide a section the shallow/slope/deep ends would be. They then told me that if I wanted the shallow end a certain length, they would have made it so, if I had told them before they graded. So, they could have kept my 11' long shallow end and just had a greater slope, according to them. But now, they want to charge me to fix it. And two more things: 1) The Engineer that came out today said what they graded at is their standard for a 32' long pool - which makes me again question why they sent me a longer shallow end in the plan they emailed me. And, 2) Then he tried to tell me that the 11' in the shallow end was including the 30" steps - but I know that's not the case because on the official City plans, the steps are also called out separately from the 4' deep section (as they were in the emailed plans), and if they were accounted for in the 11' as he said, then our pool would be 2' shorter than it is.

I know this is long. I hope I explained my issue well...Does anyone have advice on what my next step should be? Is that 2' difference really going to make a difference in the shallow end? I stood on the slope and I'd almost be below water, and that's why I think it will make a difference. I know the slope will be steeper, but right now I'm thinking that is better to gain more shallow end.

I'm hoping others with more pool experience can weigh in.

Also, any advice on what argument I should make to the PB as to why they should be responsible for the cost of the change if we go through with asking them to put that additional 2' in the shallow end - $500+ (because telling them they sent me different plans from what they submitted to the City, and didn't update me on the changes, doesn't matter to them)?

Maybe it's more a principle issue, but this pool is costing us a lot. (I am planning for unexpected costs to come up as we continue, but this could have been avoided.) And I thought I was doing my homework by asking a lot of questions and getting the cross-section beforehand; so, of course, I feel like the PB is in the wrong here. But, if I'm wrong, I'd like to hear it (gently!), because we're new to this pool building stuff...

Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer. I need to contact them in the next few days.

Comment (1)