SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psychtobe

need ideas to use leaves, grass clippings, compost

PNW zone 8
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

hello!

We're pretty new gardeners and eager to rejuvenate our soil over the winter and not sure the optimal way to do it. We have been reading about using leaves, making compost, raised beds, newspapers, lasagna gardening, etc., and we are a bit overwhelmed with all the information and need help breaking it down into bite sized pieces.

What we start with is:

11 chickens and therefore a small pile of pure, aged x 4 mo chicken manure, and a large pile of cedar and pine shavings with chicken manure mixed in;

a large pile of shredded leaves from this fall;

an even larger pile of composting grass clippings, which is about 5 feet high and 10 feet wide, and has pure compost on the inside (I don't know if there is more in there than just grass clippings as we bought the property this spring and the pile was already pretty big, but this year all we added was grass clippings. It is too big to turn.)

stacks of newspapers

11 raised beds measuring 8x4 feet, which this year had tomatoes, carrots, parsley, cilantrol (all gone) and kale, chard, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and sugar snap peas (all still growing).

an 8000 sf field in which I am planting rows of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes, figs, apples, pears, persimmons, plums, nectarines, and most importantly asparagus next spring.

We live in PNW Zone 8 so cool wet winters with minimal to no snow, and dry mild summers. The varieties of broccoli, cauliflower, etc that we have now can overwinter and the kale and chard can in theory grow all winter long.

OK, my question is how to take all the raw materials I have - shredded leaves, grass clippings, some very hot compost, cedar and pine shavings, chicken manure, newspaper - and my growing area - 11 raised beds plus rows that I want to prep for growing small fruits and fruit trees - and maximize my soil rejuvenation over the winter. What would you do and how and when? Should I mix the grass clippings with the leaves? Use plain shredded leaves as a mulch? Put the shavings and chicken manure directly into the beds now? Cover with newspaper and then with compost and let sit til spring?

Thank you for walking me through this. We're very excited.

Comments (3)

Sponsored