SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mathteacherva

How to use rotted leaves/UCG/grass clippings

mathteacherva
17 years ago

Getting close to compost heaven here--a small mountain of nice black leaf mulch in the driveway, I bring home a rolling suitcase of Starbuck's grounds almost daily, neighbors' lawn services bag clippings (all mine), a pile of free wood chips (most used over cardboard for paths). What's the best way to use this abundance? I'm trying for an edible landscape on my suburban D.C. 1/3 acre of clay soil. Already have fruit trees, vegetable plots, berry bushes, but still too much grass to mow and I don't have EVERYTHING Edible Landscaping sells. Questions: If I layer grass clippings or coffee grounds over leaf mulch, will the nitrogen "disappear" (do the clippings need to be mixed with or buried under leaves?) Can I mix the coffee grounds directly into the soil around my spinach and kale? Can I use a layer of coffee grounds over newly planted seeds? I usually just bury my kitchen scraps and spread the leaf mulch and grass clippings and coffee grounds over my garden, but am I wasting some of my compostables if I don't have a compost pile? What are the relative benefits/nitrogen content of grass clippings versus coffee grounds? Thank you for your inspiration and ideas! Rose in McLean (I love this site--particularly the "compost wacko" thread.)

Comments (11)