SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Besides roses

Rosefolly
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

You probably all know that I like planting trees. As it happens I did just purchase another oak tree, Quercus douglasii, but that is not the subject of this post. Today I want to talk about bulbs.

A couple of decades ago someone on this very forum advised me to plant Tazetta class daffodils. I've done so over the years, and they have always done well for me, increasing over time. Last week I planted 200 'Golden Dawn' daffodils in the filtered light of the roadside berm above our garage. I had a few there already. I got them from Bill the Bulb Baron in Santa Cruz. Shameless plug here - I have no connection except as a customer, but I think his bulbs are fabulous (and cheap, a real bargain) for gardens in this part of California.

The past few days have been eyeing my version of a he!!strip, the area between our fence and the roadside retaining wall. Everything I've planted there has grown too big, so I remove it and start again, this twice over now. It has to be accessible for biannual fence post maintenance as well. But if I leave it empty it is an eyesore, weedy and difficult to keep weed-free. I've been thinking of planting bulbs there, They will be pretty during weed season, and will die down later in the year when I have to get up there and work on the fence. The tricky part is the gophers and deer. So I began to make a list of rodent and deer resistant bulbs that do not require much summer water. Here is what I ended up planting.

24 Amaryllis belladonna (from Bill the Bulb Baron, just like the daffodils)

~36 Scilla peruviana (these came with the place 20+ years ago; I just moved some)

36 Hyacinth

72 Anemone 'Mr Fokker'

60 Scilla campanulata, aka Wood hyacinth/Spanish bluebells

45 Iris recticulata

and coming Sunday

100 Freesia alba, again from BtBB, who assures me that they are heavily fragrant

That will be somewhere between 500 and 600 bulbs when those are in the ground. Then I think I will be done with bulbs for quite some time.

As for roses, I have a couple to move this winter, one quite large, but I think I'll wait a bit on that. Fortunately the bigger rose (Grandmother's Hat) only has to move three feet, but move it must.

Rosefolly

Comments (15)