Houzz Logo Print
dmdmchina

HELP! Need third party opinion on measuring for granite install

David M
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm
approaching the end of my small kitchen renovation, but-- I have
an ongoing confusion/disagreement with the company doing my countertops about how to measure the granite being installed (and therefore how much I'm being charged). I might be wrong in how I'm looking at it, so I need an
objective opinion.

In brief: I have two countertop sections for my kitchen: an
"L" shaped sink/fridge area, and sort of a "D" shaped
angular area for my island.

The "L" shaped area measures (with 2" backsplash):

Slab 1: 73x27.5 =14 sq ft

Slab 2: 48x27.5=9.2 sq ft

TOTAL: 23.2 sq ft. *NO DISAGREEMENT HERE*

For the two pieces which will make the "D" shaped island (see pictures), including waste from a 45 degree diagonal cut ( __/ ), I measured:

Slab 3: 68L (to seam) x38W=18 sq ft

Slab 4: 54L (to seam) x38W= 14.25 sq ft

TOTAL: 32.25 sq ft

However they are measuring the last piece as: 55x50 (19sq ft), using "every corner at its furthest point". In other words, they're measuring along two diagonals and getting 5 extra feet. This doesn't even create a rectangle... Does this make sense to you? (Note that despite the change in angle, both measurements originate from the same corner.)

(P.S. To add to the confusion: for the "D" shaped island I'm having them use an "L" shaped slab with a rectangle already cut out. See pic.)

(P.P.S. *AGAIN: I understand that there are cutouts and waste. But I would assume that you're including waste cut out from a rectangle, not an odd size piece?)

Comments (7)