SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brook_utesch

Granite install help and opinions HELP

Home Owner
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had granite countertops installed but there were some issues when I got home. Imagine a long slab of granite with a stove in the middle. So a left slab and a right slab. First the right slab was flush with the front face of the stove but the left slab was back 1/2 inch. That was fixed by us tugging the crap out of it to pull it forward but I don't think that ever should have happened. Second. The right slab is almost flush the top of the stove cooktop but the left side is 1/4 inch or so higher. This has not be resolved. Why is the left side higher? Well when I check the left slab it is not level. If I put a roll of tape by the stove it will roll down the left slab to the sink. Now. Two feet to the left of the stove is the seam. When I look under the granite I can see it follow the top of the cabinets and as it goes right the slab rises on the way to the stop and the gap increases. It is then shimmed next to the stove. Why is it shimmed and higher causing it to not be level? Why is it only unlevel to the right of the seam. They tell me it is my cabinets but then why didn't someone say something and why shim it to not be level? My concern is they want to rush putting up the tile now but my fear is that if we don't address the level issue, the tile will also not look right. I will attach some pictures if I can figure it out, but I need help understanding this and if I should simply give in or hold my ground for a fix of some sort. Help. I'm just sick about this.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living