SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

Need Help Fast - Counter Install

kitchenkrazed09
12 years ago

My fabricator will be back this morning to finish the install of my granite counters. (They forgot to polish the edge of one of the smaller pieces.) There is about a 3/16" gap at the back of the counters where they meet the wall. I'm not worried about the sections where the backsplash will cover. However, I have a row of windows over the sink. The apron will cover the gap under the windows, but on either side of them, there will be nothing to hide the gap. I made sure the fabricator knew there would be no backsplash in those sections.

I don't think the counters can be moved at this point to be pushed back. They are already caulked around the front edges of the cabinets and the seam is epoxied at the sink. We thought about using paintable caulk to hide the gaps and then painting it the color of the walls. Also, we considered feathering out the wall on either side of the windows with spackle. Any thoughts?

There is also a gap along the side of the rangetop that is narrow at the front and then gets wider toward the back. I can't tell yet about the other side, because that is the piece that had to be polished.

Also, what exactly is involved in templating? Another post (by Odiegirl) made me realize that maybe ours wasn't done properly. Our fabricator measured in various spots and then added for the overhang. Is there a more precise way to make sure the counters are scribed to the wall?

Another question, how are the counters supposed to be installed? I thought they were going to put silicone down on the cabinet tops and then set the granite (3cm). They didn't use silicone, only caulked where it met the cabinets. I guess the weight of the granite and the caulk is enough to hold them in place?

I appreciate any help!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor