SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barrybud

Should I do HP & Furnace or HP & electric strips?

barrybud
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am located in south eastern PA in a 1400 sqft cape cod. Here is some back story. We had a DX geothermal that was great & efficient but failed (for more on that you can look at my posting history) and we sized our solar array on the home demand at that point. We have not payed an electric bill since that went online. We are hoping that we can continue that trend with one of the hating/cooling options below.

The other half wants nothing to do with another geo system. I have looked at many options. Mini splits seem to be 30% more $$ than other methods, plus she doesn't like the look of the wall units. Traditional hps can only pull heat down to 30ish degrees which for this area is at least 2 full months or more a year. I did find Maritime Geothermal's Nordic ATA series air source heat pump could still produce a good deal go heating BTU's down to 4 degrees before calling back up heat. It also heated domestic hot water. The problem was there were no dealers within 100+ miles of me. A local contractor wanted 10k to install it + equipment costs, yet quoted 11K for a basic Lennox SL18 & EL296E set up including equipment. He clearly didn't want to do the Nordic!

Now we have it down to Trane XV18 or the Lennox XP21 and I am not finding info on at what outdoor temp they are no longer efficient to heat, can anyone help with that?

We were looking to use either a gas furnace (2 stage or modulating) in the mid 90% AFUE or variable air handler with 15K heat strips as back up. We don't have access to natural gas so we would have to have propane tanks installed.
Here is another question. In the HP & Gas configuration at what out door temp should thermostat call for the gas furnace, and would that be the same for the heat strips? I also like that the furnace is redundant heating incase of a failure with the HP unit.

I really don't want to use a fossil fuel again, but the concern is electric demand will skyrocket using the heat strips so much. The old geo system only called for back up heat when there was a conflict between heating domestic hot water and the house. Am I way off with the HP/gas setup instead of just AC/gas? The cost difference did not seem that much?

Does anyone know if fracking is a method used in the creation of propane?

Comments (13)