SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeke1312

Thermostat/HP/Gas Furnace Combo

zeke1312
15 years ago

I just had a Ruud Achiever 90+ gas furnace and UPNE Achiever HP installed in my 1300 sq ft (ground floor), 600 finished downstairs brick/siding home in eastern Nebraska.

Yes, many homes have HP installed and even the public owned electric utility recommends them for this area of the country.

My question concerns the thermostat I selected. I installed a ritetemp #6030 thermostat which at this point (days after the install)seems to function OK. I downloaded the ritetemp user manual for the 6030 from ritetemps web site. It indicated the unit had the capability to control the emergency heat via the flatpanel display (turn it on/off). I found out during the installation of the thermostat the control of emergency heat is done by moving a set of jumpers (plug on type) on the thermostat. First, how often if at all should I ever have to move the jumper? If the heat pump was to fail, shouldn't the system detect no heat from the HP and in turn start the gas furnace without the need of moving jumpers or otherwise having to shut down the HP? Is the HP fused for failure? My concern is when we leave for Arizona in the winter for 3 months and if the emergency heat was called for, what would I expect to happen. Is the ritetemp a good thermostat? My reason for choosing was the programming options(except the emergency heat thing) and the large display/small wall "footprint". Is the Honeywell 8000 series a better option?

Comment (1)