SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferridgewood

48" Range: Wolf, Thermador with Steam, or "simple" Thermador?

We are finalizing appliances for our new construction home. With space "constraints", we are going with a 42" SubZero french door refrigerator. I've narrowed our range options down to:

1) Thermador Grand Pro 48", with 6 burners, griddle, convection oven, steam oven and warming drawer. (This becomes my most expensive package, about $2-3k above budget)

2) Thermador Grand Pro 48" - same as above but with two convection ovens (no steam)

3) Wolf 48" Range with six burners, griddle, and two convection ovens.

Options 2 and 3 are within budget.

My first question is - is a built in steam oven really worth the extra $3K?? I can buy a countertop steam toaster oven for $300. I love the way 1) looks, but not sure I can justify the extra expense.

Advantages of Thermador: all high power burners (I do a lot of high heat cooking), all oven racks with easy glide, and removable griddle. I like the aesthetics of the star burners.

Drawbacks of Thermador: Is the brand recognition as good as Wolf's (for resale down the line?) Is service as good? I've read that the loud oven fan stays on for an hour every time you use it.

Advantages of Wolf: better perception of quality and service?

Drawbacks of Wolf: Worried about blue enamel chipping in ovens. I don't like that the left back burner is a simmer burner - I'd prefer a full power burner there. Griddle is not removable/easily replaceable if it gets chipped.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Comments (28)